cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Speedlite 320EX and EOS Rebel T3i (EOS600D)

Altres
Contributor

Hi, for about 18 months I used this combination without a single glitch or problem. I had bought the old Speedlite second hand, and the whole thing died on me in Nov. The guy I bought it from said it was about 3 to 4 years old wneh I got t so I thought I'd just replace the same model, but buy a new one this time.

Since getting it however the unit doesn't seem to flash on full power at times and at others seems out of sync with the shutter. Sometimes it operates fine but then either doesn't flash at all or has an issue like I describe above. I returrned the flash to the comany and they said their technician checked it and it works fine. 

Anyone else have these difficulties or indeed solved these issues? Any suggestions would be very gratefully recieved.

Thank you in advance.

PS. Edited title because I just found out the EOS600D is called the  EOS Rebel T3i in the USA. I am from Scotland.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Altres wrote:

Thanks, yes I have tried to resituate the flash each time, as well as clearing all settings. What seems to work is leaving it for 10 minutes, this iften resolves the problem and I can carry on taking images for another period. So confusing and frankly annoying. 

Cheers for the response.

Brian

Ten minutes for each flash? Conceivably there could be something wrong with the capacitor and the unit would need service.

Ten minutes and then you can fire several flashes before it has to rest again? Most likely the batteries are weak or inappropriate to the task. Make sure you use Eneloop pros. Most serious photographers think there's nothing better.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

My only perplexing flash problem was something like you describe. I was a bit embarrassed when someone rightly guessed the speed lite had slid backwards in the hotshot just a tiny couple of millimeters, and the little contact pins were not all in good contact with the little places on the hot shoe. I pushed it forward into correct mounting position and the problem was solved. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks, yes I have tried to resituate the flash each time, as well as clearing all settings. What seems to work is leaving it for 10 minutes, this iften resolves the problem and I can carry on taking images for another period. So confusing and frankly annoying. 

Cheers for the response.

Brian

@Altres wrote:

Cheers for the response.

Brian

Ten minutes for each flash? Conceivably there could be something wrong with the capacitor and the unit would need service.

Ten minutes and then you can fire several flashes before it has to rest again? Most likely the batteries are weak or inappropriate to the task. Make sure you use Eneloop pros. Most serious photographers think there's nothing better.

Bob

Thanks for the help, Bob. I didn't describe it well, if I take the batteries out and leave the unit for ten minutes it starts again fine. The strange thing is, I have fitted the unit to the camera and fired off like 500 flashes in a row with the camera attached to the computer, with only a couple of misfires. It seems to be when out and about in different lightings that I have the problem. I am wondering if perhaps the camera itself is the problem? I have reinstalled the latest firmware the other day, I will be out on a job tongiht and will see hope it goes.

Thanks again for the input, I m at a loss and really do not understand. I may see if my friend who also own a Canon will allow me to borrow his camera body to check out and see if it is the flash or the camera.

And yes, I have just gone online and ordered a set of Eneloop Pros, I'd never heard of them before, thank you.

Cheers,

Brian

On reading your original message more closely, I wonder if by chance you were using manual settings on your old flash and ETTL on your new one. One thing you have to understand is that the ETTL protocol is extremely averse to blown highlights and basically treats all flash as fill flash. This means that you have to expose for the background as though the flash were not there; otherwise the flash will fix on the brightest highlight in the scene and all else will be underexposed. Indoors you can often compensate for this effect by using bounce flash, but outdoors it can be a real problem. If all else fails, try manual or the mode where the flash itself (rather than the camera) decides how much light you need. (DON'T use plain TTL. Your camera won't understand it, and all flashes will be at full power. However bad you have it now, that would be worse.)

The good side of ETTL is that if fill flash is actually what you want, it does that extremely well.

Bob

Bob, that sounds like it could well be a possibility. I will try this over the weekend and get back. Thanks again for putting your thoughts and time into this, I appreciate it very much.

Brian

My god, I think it was actually the batteries themselves. I tried three different sets, thinking well that rules the batteries out, got these ones you recommended Bob.....the Eneloop pros.....seems sorted now! Thanks you so much, Bob, and any others who considered this.

My genuine thanks.

Brian

@Altres wrote:

My god, I think it was actually the batteries themselves. I tried three different sets, thinking well that rules the batteries out, got these ones you recommended Bob.....the Eneloop pros.....seems sorted now! Thanks you so much, Bob, and any others who considered this.

My genuine thanks.

Brian

Glad I was able to help.  Smiley Happy

BTW, having experienced the advantage of really good batteries, you may want to consider getting a really good charger as well, if you don't already have one. The good ones charge each battery individually, rather than stopping when any battery reaches its limit. This ensures that you start a shoot with all your batteries at full capacity. And the best chargers have a slow charging mode that you can use when you're not in a hurry, and that tends to make the batteries last longer before they'll no longer hold a charge. Which can make the charger pay for itself in the long run, since good batteries aren't cheap.

Bob
Announcements