cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with 430EXII and ST-E2

jhameenniemi
Apprentice

I am using Canon 7D Mark II with ST-E2 transmitter to trigger Canon 430EX II flash off-camera. The flash is set to manual mode and full power but when triggered with ST-E2, it only produces a very low-power flash. If the flash is set to ETTL mode, the flash output is much higher. I have three 430EX II flashes and they all have the same behaviour. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on?

1 REPLY 1

diverhank
Authority

@jhameenniemi wrote:

I am using Canon 7D Mark II with ST-E2 transmitter to trigger Canon 430EX II flash off-camera. The flash is set to manual mode and full power but when triggered with ST-E2, it only produces a very low-power flash. If the flash is set to ETTL mode, the flash output is much higher. I have three 430EX II flashes and they all have the same behaviour. Does anyone have any idea on what is going on?

When under the control of the ST-E2 (or even the built-in flash, it does not matter what you set on the flash.  The ST-E2 will send the signal and change the flash settings anyway to whatever the camera flash settings are.  So it is important that you set the flash settings through the camera so the camera will tell the ST-E2 to send the desired settings to the flash.

By the way, not sure if you are aware that the 7DII can remote control the flashes using the built-in flash without the ST-E2.  Of course, the ST-E2 does not emit the annoying flashes of light like the built-in flash.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements