cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 70D does not record the off camera flash. It works fine on board. Can't figure out the problem.

joechan
Contributor

My 70D doesn't record the off camera flash, a 580II but will work on board. I can't figure the problem.

12 REPLIES 12

I certainly appreciate your efforts. While I did set everything to manual, it still did not gather the light. The flash is the pre-flash, but even going to manual, it didn't solve the issue. I then switched to the onboard wireless and it did solve the issue. But as you said, shooting outdoors is problematical as I don't always have the line of sight for IR trigger, thus I'll need to solve the issue of RF triggers.

Thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.

@joechan wrote:

I certainly appreciate your efforts. While I did set everything to manual, it still did not gather the light. The flash is the pre-flash, but even going to manual, it didn't solve the issue. I then switched to the onboard wireless and it did solve the issue. But as you said, shooting outdoors is problematical as I don't always have the line of sight for IR trigger, thus I'll need to solve the issue of RF triggers.

Thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.

I hate giving up :).  Can you described exactly what your settings are for 1. the flash, 2. the wizards and 3 the camera? How do you hook them up.

Also if possible can you tell me what the speed, ISO and aperture required to properly exposed for the ambient light you're using?  You probably already know that you can't affect flash exposure with speed since the flash light duration is very short.  You need to change aperture and ISO to be underexposed (try 2 stops only) and use sufficient flash power to correctly expose the picture...otherwise you can't tell if the flash is registered...did you do that? and you see no change in intensity, even at full flash power?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Check here:

http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=The_FAQ

Also, you could give the PW folks a call.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements