cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed sync, off camera compatibility issues.

jcarter
Apprentice

I have a Canon 7D Mark ii, Pocket wizard plus iv's and  several Canon 550 EX speedlites. I want high speed sync entirely off camera on multiple speedlites. High speed sync is only working when the speedlite is on the cameras hot shoe. I was informed by a Canon representative to use a ST-E2 transmitter. The problem is that it is not a radio. I prefer to use the pocket wizards. I read on Canons website that the 550 EX is not compatible.

"External Flash Settings - The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 600EX, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, 90EX, ST-E3-RT, or MR-14EX:External flash control".

The Canon representative did not tell me this. I do not want to waste money purchasing equipment that is not compatible so my question is, Should I upgrade all of my speedlites or should I purchase the ST-E2 transmitter? According to the website the 550 EX would not be compatibloe with any transmitter from my understanding of them.  

2 REPLIES 2

Peter
Authority
Authority
550, 430 and 580II work great together with Odin attached on M5, 6D and 7D.

Anyway, my recommendation will be to find another solution than ST-E2 due to the range and even less range in sunlight.

Tim
Authority

The Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 is compatible with the Speedlite 550EX.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements