cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed sync, off camera compatibility issues.

jcarter
Apprentice

I have a Canon 7D Mark ii, Pocket wizard plus iv's and  several Canon 550 EX speedlites. I want high speed sync entirely off camera on multiple speedlites. High speed sync is only working when the speedlite is on the cameras hot shoe. I was informed by a Canon representative to use a ST-E2 transmitter. The problem is that it is not a radio. I prefer to use the pocket wizards. I read on Canons website that the 550 EX is not compatible.

"External Flash Settings - The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 600EX, 430EX II, 320EX, 270EX II, 90EX, ST-E3-RT, or MR-14EX:External flash control".

The Canon representative did not tell me this. I do not want to waste money purchasing equipment that is not compatible so my question is, Should I upgrade all of my speedlites or should I purchase the ST-E2 transmitter? According to the website the 550 EX would not be compatibloe with any transmitter from my understanding of them.  

2 REPLIES 2

Peter
Authority
Authority
550, 430 and 580II work great together with Odin attached on M5, 6D and 7D.

Anyway, my recommendation will be to find another solution than ST-E2 due to the range and even less range in sunlight.

Tim
Authority

The Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 is compatible with the Speedlite 550EX.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements