cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help using Speedlite flash without using the in built flash please... :)

NJ220
Apprentice

Sorry! I'm sure this has already been asked, but I've looked through many threads and no luck.

I have a Speedlite 430EX IIIRT and a 70D camera. I'd like to have them connect via radio transmission so that I can have the Speedlite flash without having the built in flash go off. I understand that the camera's don't have a radio function built in so I need to buy a trigger yes?

Is the ST-E3-RT the right thing for this? Is there alernative that's not quite as expensive? I've looked at the YN-E3-RT but it's still a bit of money. Would the Yongnuo wireless flash trigger RF-603II do the job? Is there a benefit to getting the E3-RT instead?

Thanks in advance! New to all this stuff!

Natalia 🙂

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The ST-E3-R3 is your best option and most compatible for radio wireless.

You can also get an off camera flash cord which is probably the cheapest.

Thanks for that!

Is the Yongnuo wireless flash trigger RF-603I for something completely different?

The more I learn about these cameras the less I realise I know! 🙂

@NJ220 wrote:

Thanks for that!

Is the Yongnuo wireless flash trigger RF-603I for something completely different?

The more I learn about these cameras the less I realise I know! 🙂

This one is not compatible with the built-in RF receiver on your 430 flash. You will need a pair of Receiver Transmitter -R/T (one for camera, one for the flash) where the ST-E3 (Canon or Yongnuo) can go on the camera and your 430III can receive the signal without a separate R/T unit.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Roger that! Thanks Diverhank! 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The built-in flash can be used to communicate (optically) with the external flash by firing a fraction of a second BEFORE the shutter actually opens.  The shutter then opens and off-camera flash fires.

This can be confusing because you'll take the shot and see the built-in flash fire, but when you inspect your images you'll notice that you don't detect any light from it in the photo (because technically the shutter was still closed when it fired).  

That can be used to perform 'optical' wireless control of an off-camera flash where the built-in flash is 'disabled' (it only fires to communicate... not to provide light in the photo).

The 430EX III-RT can communicate via radio if you have an on-camera radio transmitter... that can either be the ST-E3-RT (which is just a radio controller) or you can use another Canon "RT" flash such as another 430EX III-RT or a 600EX II-RT.

The major advantage of the radio system is that it doesn't require line-of-sight.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

NJ220
Apprentice
Ooo, thanks T Campbell. I'll give that ago before buying a transmitter. This photography hobby is becoming expensive. 🙂
Announcements