cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Canon 430EX II - only emits weak flash/light when fired

Wild-bear
Apprentice

Hi all,

I have an 430EX II which emits a very weak flash when test fire. It does not emit a high pitch sound when turn on indicating that it is charging the capacitor (only a constant low buzzing sound).

Can someone confirm that it is the flash capacitor that is faulty and not the flash bulb or firing circuitry?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Wild-bear wrote:

Hi all,

I have an 430EX II which emits a very weak flash when test fire. It does not emit a high pitch sound when turn on indicating that it is charging the capacitor (only a constant low buzzing sound).

Can someone confirm that it is the flash capacitor that is faulty and not the flash bulb or firing circuitry?

Thanks.

Newer flashes like the 430EX II do not emit a high pitch sound when charging, they are completely quite. The only sound my 430EX II flash makes is when the zoom in the flash head changes focal length. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What happens when you actually use it?

Same thing. It fired a weak flash. I took measurement and the photo flash capacitor had very little voltage. I think the inverter circuit is faulty and does not upconvert the voltage to the correct high voltage.

I took the assembly apart and did not see any obvious burn mark.

Now a I have a small black piece of plastic ~2cm long and a round white rubber seal which I don't know where they should go as they fell out when I opened the casing.

PS, I'm quite competent with electronics 🙂

Then you are on your own. Sounds like it is time for a new flash.

Announcements