cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a Speedlite 430EX II, what camera should I get?

baileymarissa
Apprentice

Hello!
A friend found a Canon Speedlite 430EX II and gave it to me. However, I have only ever had a point and shoot camera. I have been wanting to buy a DSLR camera and figured that, seeing that I have the flash, I'd look into purchasing a compatible camera.
This specific flash is compatible with all Canon EOS cameras and PowerShot G series cameras.
Obviously I have no experience buying a DSLR so I've tried to do some research though there are so many conflicting reviews that it's just making me more confused.

I've found a couple bundle deals for the Canon T6 EOS Rebel for under $500. The T6, I've read, is a good starter camera. However, I've also read some reviews that compare it to the T6i or other cameras that have some desirable features.

I really like the T6i's flip screen and, though I'm not sure I have a need for it, the ability to plug in a microphone. Also, do all Canon's have Wi-Fi capabilities? That's also a really nice feature that I would enjoy in a camera.

I don't plan on using this camera often. I go on local photography trips every so often that I would like to have a better quality camera for. The swivel LCD is attractive because I love getting shots from a different point of view and often with my little point and shoot I am blindly capturing shots. The Wi-Fi is also attractive because I try to post to Instagram but I often find myself too lazy to upload the pictures to my computer and then to my phone. Otherwise I just want a camera that is easy to use, takes great pictures, and if I can find a bundle deal on it even better.

What camera do you have? What features do you like about it?
Any advice on what camera I should go for would be very helpful.

Thank you! 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@baileymarissa wrote:

Hello!
A friend found a Canon Speedlite 430EX II and gave it to me. However, I have only ever had a point and shoot camera. I have been wanting to buy a DSLR camera and figured that, seeing that I have the flash, I'd look into purchasing a compatible camera.
This specific flash is compatible with all Canon EOS cameras and PowerShot G series cameras.
Obviously I have no experience buying a DSLR so I've tried to do some research though there are so many conflicting reviews that it's just making me more confused.

I've found a couple bundle deals for the Canon T6 EOS Rebel for under $500. The T6, I've read, is a good starter camera. However, I've also read some reviews that compare it to the T6i or other cameras that have some desirable features.

I really like the T6i's flip screen and, though I'm not sure I have a need for it, the ability to plug in a microphone. Also, do all Canon's have Wi-Fi capabilities? That's also a really nice feature that I would enjoy in a camera.

I don't plan on using this camera often. I go on local photography trips every so often that I would like to have a better quality camera for. The swivel LCD is attractive because I love getting shots from a different point of view and often with my little point and shoot I am blindly capturing shots. The Wi-Fi is also attractive because I try to post to Instagram but I often find myself too lazy to upload the pictures to my computer and then to my phone. Otherwise I just want a camera that is easy to use, takes great pictures, and if I can find a bundle deal on it even better.

What camera do you have? What features do you like about it?
Any advice on what camera I should go for would be very helpful.

Thank you! 🙂

The T6i would be a good camera to start with that you're unlikely to outgrow anytime soon.

Another feature it has is the ability to act as a master flash, so you can use the 430EX II flash off the camera as a slave flash. This often puts the flash at a better angle to the subject and avoids the 'deer in the headlights' look.

A comment on kits. Canon bundles that camera with STM lenses which have high image quality. Avoid 3rd party kits that include lenses other than the STM ones Canon bundles. Also, avoid kits with accessories like filters and tripods as they are very low quality accessories that are best deposited in a trash can.

The T6i is a good camera.  The 430EX II is a good flash unit.

But since you said "I don't plan on using this camera often" you will be using the flash even less often. You may be better served by looking to the Canon Powershot SX series cameras.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements