Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had their Canon flash overheat during heavy shooting? I am using lithium batteri

[ Edited ]

jrhoffman75 wrote:

Canon put out an advisory on the use of lithium batteries. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/caution-lithium-...

I didn't even realize that they make lithium AA batteries. I'm pretty sure I've never seen one.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had their Canon flash overheat during heavy shooting? I am using lithium batteri

As I stated above, lithium batteries are good in places where you want them to last a long time under harsh conditions. For example, I put them in the outside temperature sensor for my home wireless thermostat system. Just don't ask them to put out a lot of current in short period of time, like say, a flash!

Esteemed Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

As I stated above, lithium batteries are good in places where you want them to last a long time under harsh conditions. For example, I put them in the outside temperature sensor for my home wireless thermostat system. Just don't ask them to put out a lot of current in short period of time, like say, a flash!

I don't think it's quite that simple. There are commonly used lithium battery packs that clip onto your belt that can be used to power a flash. They deliver power a lot faster than the four NiMH AA's in the flash unit itself, yet they don't get hot in normal use.

Bob
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

lithium.jpg

I am talking about these. As I also said above, don't confuse *re-chargeable* Lithium's with non-rechargeable Lithium-Alkilines. The OP has not told us what he is using.

Esteemed Contributor

RobertTheFat wrote:

jrhoffman75 wrote:

I didn't even realize that they make lithium AA batteries. I'm pretty sure I've never seen one.

Well, all of this talk about batteries is making me nervous.  What about the B&H "Watson" batteries, which they claim are NiMH?  Are they any good, you think? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

Waddizzle wrote:

RobertTheFat wrote:

jrhoffman75 wrote:

Well, all of this talk about batteries is making me nervous.  What about the B&H "Watson" batteries, which they claim are NiMH?  Are they any good, you think? 

I've used B&H's previous NiMH house brand, whose name escapes me at the moment. They were marginally better than Radio Shack, but not nearly as good as Eneloops.

Bob