cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compadibilty of flashes on a Mark 5d II

Marcar
Apprentice

I have  a 550ex flash  and a  430 ex II.  while im able to have to 2 flashs sync together i find  that the  430 ex II  allows  more functions to be  operated by the camera on this flash..   I'd like to have full function of any flash that i use and  have  them sync together.. Can anyone help me to find  out what flashes give me  this ... ?

Confused ... Man Frustrated

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

If you're referring to using the Canon optical wireless to trigger your flashes with "full function" being eTTL, you need to use either the 500 or 600 series flashes, or the transmitter, I think it's called the ST-2.  I don't believe the 430 can be used as a master, only slave.

Alternately you can look at radio triggers.  I love my Yongnuo RF-602s, but they're full manual (no eTTL or power control).  But Yongnuo just released the 622 triggers, which have eTTL.  They're about $80 for two, and would allow you full control of your flashes.

While i know i can use the remote to fire  the flash its a matter of  the  mark II  controling the 3 flashs  off the  back of  the  camera that i look forward to having that kind of  control ..

Unlike the 7D or 60D and various Rebels, the 5D mark 2 (or 3 for that matter) can't control anything...it does not have the capability.  You either use a master capable flash or a ST-E2 or ST-E3 to control the flashes and for the 580 and the ST-E2 there is no practical limit to the number of flashes in 2 available groups A and B.  The ST-E3 lets you control up to 5 different groups

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I went through this with my photo store .. the Mark II is cappable of controlling 3 flashs and  giving you ability to adjust the flash from the back of the camera .. theres videos on you tube to prove this to you..  i was  quite amazed myself to find that it had this ability...  I cant find theee  video that i saw it at, but this is close ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPB_Qmg4whk

Marcar, the video shows the mark 3 on camera menu to control the mounted flash.  The flash is the actual controller.  Without the flash the 5D cannot  control remote flashes like the 7D, 6D or 60D.  If someone can show me how on a 5D3 that would be fantastic.

You should try to use your 550 to control...it's an older unit but it might still be able to control other flashes.  You may not control it via the camera but on the flash itself.   Prior to getting the ST-E2, I used my 580EXII to control remote flashes...Problem with that is it has to be on camera, which is not an optimum place for a flash.  If using the camera to control the flash is what you are talking about, then the 580EXII is a good one. My 5D3 can set all the flash settings when it is mounted on the camera. 

By the way, the Canon flash controls as shown on the video you linked is to 3 groups of flashes and each group can have multiple flashes.

diverhank
Authority

A 580EX II will give you everything a 430EXII has - they (both flashes) and the 5D2 are of the same generation.  It will act as a master also.  I think a 580EX will also fit the bill but I'm not certain, not having owned and tried it.  I use a 580EXII and a 430EXII flash for my portrait work on a 50D and a 5D3, both flashes are controlled by a ST-E2 controller mounted on camera.  They work wonderfully indoors with full ETTL...never had a misfire ever.

Announcements