cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon confidence...

mitsuru
Contributor

About 12 years ago, I purchased a Canon camera and a couple lens,  a Canon speedlite and other accessories.  Just two months ago I purchased a new camera, a Canon again.  All from a authorized Canon dealers.

I was checking my speedlite and cables compatibility with the new camera. It appears that the cable is a counterfeit.

My question is "buying Canon branded products from Canon authorized dealers", how do I know it's really a Canon product?

$80.00 Canon Off-Camera Shoe Code 2IMG_1647.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority

I doubt if a real authorized Canon dealer would sell counterfeit products. If you worry that much about it, buy from large well established outfits like B&H (in the US).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Please link the the original discussion:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Speedlites/580EX-gt-Off-Camera-Shoe-Cord-2-gt-6D-Mark-II/m-p/23055...

In fact, I might have mis-spoke. The OC-E3 replaced the off camera shoe cord 2:

[Removed link due to Forum Community Guidelines]

So, not counterfeit, but obsolete. I don't know if there is any physical difference in the cable.

I wouldn't worry about getting counterfeit products from an authorized Canon dealer however many of them do sell gray market products which can sometimes be a good deal if you are willing to take the risk of having a warranty that may be nearly useless in a practical sense.  At least the larger dealers make it clear which products are gray market (genuine Canon but not intended for sale in this market so they won't have Canon USA warranty coverage).

Where you do need to be careful is with some of the large online only general lines retailers (like that retail colossus with which we are all familiar).  The chances of buying a counterfeit product there is much greater as is the commonly used practice of utilizing verbiage and photos that try to lead a potential buyer into believing that an OEM accessory or supply is being purchased when in fact it is an aftermarket product.  Not only do they sometimes play games with look alike camera batteries but also items like memory cards which are often true counterfeits.  One of the most commonly counterfeited items sold today is the lowly lithium coin cell.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@kvbarkley wrote:

Please link the the original discussion:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Speedlites/580EX-gt-Off-Camera-Shoe-Cord-2-gt-6D-Mark-II/m-p/23055...

In fact, I might have mis-spoke. The OC-E3 replaced the off camera shoe cord 2:

[Removed link due to Forum Community Guidelines]

So, not counterfeit, but obsolete. I don't know if there is any physical difference in the cable.

In the original discussion the reason we accepted that the cord is counterfeit was the conspicuous misspelling of "Cord" as "Code". If the misspelling was Canon's fault and the cord is genuine, they should say so.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements