cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Speedlites....

TheRogue
Enthusiast

I've just bought a 5D3 and included a 600 RTII EX flashgun in the purchase.  However, I have also a a 270ex II which I purchased for use with my G3X.  Just for the hell of it, I tried this smaller flash on the 5D3. I tried in Manual setting the shutter to 1/250, and F to 4.5 and varous other settings. I noticed that the shutter reverts to 1/200 sec when shutter button is pressed halfway. is this normal? I thought that the flash would sync at 250?  I have to add that I am away from base so have been unable to try the 600RT II to assume that the smaller flash will not sync in the same way. Or do I have it wrong somehow?

12 REPLIES 12

@TheRogue wrote:

That doesn't surprise me!  I don't really need high speed sync with the 270ex II  - I wouldn't even normally use it at all on the 5D3. I was just having a play round. 1/200 is fine, IF I ever needed to use it!

If you use the flash outdoors as a fill, you will need hss.  It's essential for portraits with low Av values... Your shutter speeds will need to be much faster than 1/200.  I will not get any thing that can't do High speed sync

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Yeah sure man I hear that. But like I said at the top of this thread, I didn't get the 270ex for use with the 5D3, I got it to use with my G3X in the dim and distant past. I've got the 600rt II ex for times when I need that level of flash control.  I have to say though, the 270ex does 'look good' on the 5D3. Pity it so underpowered and under featured. You get what you pay for I guess.

@diverhank wrote:

@TheRogue wrote:

That doesn't surprise me!  I don't really need high speed sync with the 270ex II  - I wouldn't even normally use it at all on the 5D3. I was just having a play round. 1/200 is fine, IF I ever needed to use it!

If you use the flash outdoors as a fill, you will need hss.  It's essential for portraits with low Av values... Your shutter speeds will need to be much faster than 1/200.  I will not get any thing that can't do High speed sync

I have, upon occasion, used a 3 stop ND filter to get around this.  

In bright sun, any camera can use ISO 100, 1/100th sec, and f/16.  If you take that to 1/200th then the f-stop drops to f/11.  With a 3 stop filter it takes it down to f/4.  This is a work-around if you need to use a flash that doesn't support HSS as a "fill" flash.

Of course, now you're pulling filters out of your bag ... so it's nice to just have a flash that supports HSS.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements