Canon Community Canon Community

Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon Speedlites....

TheRogue wrote:

That doesn't surprise me!  I don't really need high speed sync with the 270ex II  - I wouldn't even normally use it at all on the 5D3. I was just having a play round. 1/200 is fine, IF I ever needed to use it!

If you use the flash outdoors as a fill, you will need hss.  It's essential for portraits with low Av values... Your shutter speeds will need to be much faster than 1/200.  I will not get any thing that can't do High speed sync

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Frequent Contributor

Yeah sure man I hear that. But like I said at the top of this thread, I didn't get the 270ex for use with the 5D3, I got it to use with my G3X in the dim and distant past. I've got the 600rt II ex for times when I need that level of flash control.  I have to say though, the 270ex does 'look good' on the 5D3. Pity it so underpowered and under featured. You get what you pay for I guess.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

diverhank wrote:

TheRogue wrote:

That doesn't surprise me!  I don't really need high speed sync with the 270ex II  - I wouldn't even normally use it at all on the 5D3. I was just having a play round. 1/200 is fine, IF I ever needed to use it!

If you use the flash outdoors as a fill, you will need hss.  It's essential for portraits with low Av values... Your shutter speeds will need to be much faster than 1/200.  I will not get any thing that can't do High speed sync

I have, upon occasion, used a 3 stop ND filter to get around this.  

In bright sun, any camera can use ISO 100, 1/100th sec, and f/16.  If you take that to 1/200th then the f-stop drops to f/11.  With a 3 stop filter it takes it down to f/4.  This is a work-around if you need to use a flash that doesn't support HSS as a "fill" flash.

Of course, now you're pulling filters out of your bag ... so it's nice to just have a flash that supports HSS.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da