cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ST-E3-RT Sync'ed but not firing 600EX-RT also !tv comes up when pushing shutter.

Bryantdigital
Apprentice

All year I havent had any problems with my tramsitter firing off my flashes, on my 5D Mark III, until recently. when Im setting up for a shoot, and everything is fine, and synced, but my flashes just wont fire, even with fresh new batteries in both. However, I have 2 600EX-RT's so I've been forced to use one to trigger the other, than after a while of that, when I test the ST-E3, its back to firing off the flashes again just fine. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue? Its very inconvienent, when you're confident in setting up and ready to shoot, and your flashes arent firing with no explanation. And also what does the "! tv" error message I sometimes get on my Transmitter mean? 

8 REPLIES 8

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The "! Tv" is mentioned in the manual but it's not clearly written.  It either means you HAVE set the shutter speed (in Tv mode) to be 1 "increment" slower than flash-sync speed, but I also see it written as if they're telling you that you need to set the flash sync speed 1 increment slower (e.g. as if it is saying it wont be able to use the normal flash sync speed for the shutter.)  I'm not sure which.

My ST-E3-RT has been rock solid with my 600's... do you get the link light showing both the ST-E3-RT and the 600's have a communication link established?  Is everything in radio mode (is it possible your flash(es) were set to optical mode?  The ST-E3-RT can't do optical mode.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

The "! Tv" is mentioned in the manual but it's not clearly written.  It either means you HAVE set the shutter speed (in Tv mode) to be 1 "increment" slower than flash-sync speed, but I also see it written as if they're telling you that you need to set the flash sync speed 1 increment slower (e.g. as if it is saying it wont be able to use the normal flash sync speed for the shutter.)  I'm not sure which. ...

Only the second explanation makes any sense. There would never be a reason to warn you unless you had the shutter speed set higher than the sync speed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

The "! Tv" is mentioned in the manual but it's not clearly written.  It either means you HAVE set the shutter speed (in Tv mode) to be 1 "increment" slower than flash-sync speed, but I also see it written as if they're telling you that you need to set the flash sync speed 1 increment slower (e.g. as if it is saying it wont be able to use the normal flash sync speed for the shutter.)  I'm not sure which. ...

Only the second explanation makes any sense. There would never be a reason to warn you unless you had the shutter speed set higher than the sync speed.

I think you're right.

I'm reading my manual for my ST-E3-RT.

On page 19 it says  "Also, when using the transmitter with a film or digital camera released up to 2011, the following restrictions apply."  ... and then in the first condition, the paragraph ends with "When you set the shutter speed 1 increment slower than the flash sync speed, the <! Tv> warning icon will disappear.

But the OP says he is using a 5D III -- that camera was announced in 2012. 

On page 63 (the troubleshooting section) it says (for the symptom): "<! Tv> is displayed" and for the corrective action it says:  "Set the shutter speed 1 stop slower than the flash sync speed (p. 19)."

As I re-read this (I think I initially mis-read it)... it is tell you that you need to slow the shutter speed to 1 stop slower than the flash sync speed.  On a 5D III the flash sync speed is 1/200th sec. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

So thats the thing, its showing me that !Tv error, while in Manual mode, how I always shoot.. Im not in Tv mode... Both the st-e3 and the 600ex are in radio mode..and synced..both lights are green.. no matter what mode, or functions I change it too, it keeps giving me that error message, and not fireing the flash off.. not until after about 15-20mins... then it starts firing them...its quite frustrating..so its like now I have to turn them on, and Im assuming, give it a while to process or something, then it starts firing them with no problem? this is new tho, it hasnt always been doing this.. I havent dropped any of my flashes, I have 2 600Ex, and both are pretty prestine..and it does this with both..

Call Canon. They might be able to explain what the error means.

hunk
Apprentice

I have exact this problem (although i use a 5D mkIV).

After approx. 15 minutes I get things working... Imagine how I feel with clients/models waiting.

- 1 st-e3 with 3 600EX units

- used it a year without one errror

- no added gel filter holder

- often TV! error

- I try all settings, I try to reset, new batteries, etc

- tried other radio channels

- all lights are green

- even the modelling lights work when I push the test button

- important, the flash setting are NOT AVAILABLE in the camera menu (as if it does not see the ST-E3)

Make sure that the foot of the ST-E3-RT is securely fastened and all the way into the shoe. Is there a piece of lint or something preventing the foot from going all the way in?

Problem solved

It's the lock mechanism on the st-e3.

When I use it, everything fails. Solution... don't lock it 🙂

I'll have the locking system fixed

Announcements