cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D won't connect thru wifi with my 430exIII-rt flash ( off camera). Help!!!

reifpm
Apprentice

I have a new 430EXIII-RT flash that i am trying to use off camera with my canon 80D and I cannot get the two devices to link thru wifi at all. I keep getting : this menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off."  Both the speedlite and the pop up are on, I have scanned, made sure they are on the right channels, etc. I cannot get it to work. Any help or suggestions?? would love to use the flash off camera wirelessly.

Thanks,

Trish

11 REPLIES 11

@reifpm wrote:

I have a new 430EXIII-RT flash that i am trying to use off camera with my canon 80D and I cannot get the two devices to link thru wifi at all. I keep getting : this menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off."  Both the speedlite and the pop up are on, I have scanned, made sure they are on the right channels, etc. I cannot get it to work. Any help or suggestions?? would love to use the flash off camera wirelessly.

Thanks,

Trish

The 430EXIII-RT is indeed capable of being radio triggered. (That's what "RT" stands for, after all.) But I've never heard it suggested that the triggering was done via the WiFi protocol. Is that really the way it's done? And what, in any case, would the pop-up flash have to do with it? If it has any radio capability, that's certainly news to me.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

When you say wifi...you don't really mean wifi but rather wirelessly, correct?

The 80D wifi function has no link to a flash.  Even though I'm not 100% sure, the 80D can wirelessly control a flash such as your 430 ex-rt III flash via optical means, using the built-in flash.

Your flash is capable of receiving both optical and Radio control signals for the purpose of wireless flash.  The 80D only has the optical control function but not the Radio control function.  If you want radio control, you need to get another RT capable flash (430EX-RT III or 600EX-RT I or II) or a dedicated E3-RT controller mounted on the camera hotshoe.

In order to activate this optical control function, first you pop-up your built-in flash. Then go through the menu and enable the Wireless Func. under Flash Control.  On your flash, make your flash an optical slave (lightning bolt, not the antenna with circle).  I made a youtube video on how to do this on Canon cameras and flash.  It should help.  Please check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwKsXjGRXUg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The specs say:

1. External flash control
  2. Flash firing
  • E-TTL II Flash metering
  • Flash mode
  • Radio transmission wireless flash shooting
  • Optical transmission wireless flash shooting
  • Zoom
  • Sync setting
  • Flash exposure compensation
  • FEB
  • Clear settings

So it appears the 80D supports optical and radio flash control, but it is not WiFi

@kvbarkley wrote:

So it appears the 80D supports optical and radio flash control, but it is not WiFi

Yes, true the 80D supports both (controllable via the camera menu itself) but for radio flash control , you will need an external device (it's not built-in)

image.pngAs others have said, wireless means no wires, not necessarily wifi

80D wireless flash control uses the built in flash. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

80D doesn't work with high speed Sync?? As there is no option in external flash function settings to choose High speed sync.!! PLEASE DO REPLY!

I believe you might need to set high speed sync on the flash unit, not the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Arafat wrote:

80D doesn't work with high speed Sync?? As there is no option in external flash function settings to choose High speed sync.!! PLEASE DO REPLY!

Arafat, there is an option and it should work with the 430EX-RT III flash.   Please see page 241 of the manual.  What flash unit do you have?  If the flash doesn't support HSS, the option may be greyed out.

Capture.JPG

Thank you, I wrongly assumed that radio triggered was wifi compatible, but it is not. Thank you for clarifying and I did get it to work via the optical trigger. 

Thanks, again!

Announcements