Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Canon 430EX-RT III vs Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of input on this.

I have recently bought the Canon 430EX-RT III for my Canon 6D after talking myself out of buying the 600EX-RT. Im really happy so far with the on-camera results but I'm now looking to get a bit more creative and us the off-camera flash setups.

I understand that I will need a radio transmitter to send the signal to the external flash unit. the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter currently retails at £239 in the UK yet the  Canon 430EX-RT is only £219.00. I really dont get the pricing here

My questions are ;

-Can I use 2 x 430EX-RTIII units (one for the on-camera flash and tansmitter and the other for off-camera flash) together witht the Canon 6D?

-Am I just better getting the transmitter and spending more money on additional units at a later date? (not ideal)

Any help would be appreciated. I hope I have explained this okay.

Thanks,

Dom

Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon 430EX-RT III vs Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

dmc_photography wrote:

-Can I use 2 x 430EX-RTIII units (one for the on-camera flash and tansmitter and the other for off-camera flash) together witht the Canon 6D?

-Am I just better getting the transmitter and spending more money on additional units at a later date? (not ideal)

Yes you can use one 430 III as the master and the other as an off camera slave.  There are options to either have the on-hotshoe flash to also fire or not - essentially turns it into a transmitter only.

There are no downside to using a 430III as the controller/transmitter if you don't mind the bulk.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Occasional Contributor

Re: Canon 430EX-RT III vs Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Thank you. Answered my question perfectly! Much appreciated.