cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t change settings on 600ex-rt in manual mode.

Jaymiemetz
Contributor
All the sudden my 600ex-rt is only firing at 1/1 no matter what setting I put it on. It’s doing the same on multi too but not e-ttl. It seem to change after I switched the batteries. Has Anyone come across this issue and been able to fix it?
9 REPLIES 9

@Jaymiemetz wrote:
All the sudden my 600ex-rt is only firing at 1/1 no matter what setting I put it on. It’s doing the same on multi too but not e-ttl. It seem to change after I switched the batteries. Has Anyone come across this issue and been able to fix it?

This is a wild stab, but are you sure that all four batteries are good? Cheap chargers that charge four batteries at a time usually stop charging when any one of the four reaches full power. If one or more of the others is unable to hold a full charge, that fact may be overlooked. Better chargers monitor each battery individually, but those are more expensive.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Jaymiemetz
Contributor
I wondered if it was the batteries so I changed them a 2nd time and I got the same result.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Does it do this even if not connected to a camera?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Jaymiemetz
Contributor
I did not try off camera. I was too perplexed and busy to try anything like off camera flash.

The reason I asked about off-camera use is because the 580EX II speedlite had a known issue where the screws that snug down the foot plate would get loose... this would cause the pins to make poor contact with the camera hot-shoe, and the flash would fall out of E-TTL II mode and back to Manual mode and fire at full power (due to a loose foot plate).  But if used off-caemra (as a slave) where the foot plate is ignored, the flash would work fine.

BTW, the 600EX-RT is _not_ known to have this issue that the 580EX II had.   Canon had a free service repair for those affected by the 580EX II issue, slightly changed the design, and I've not heard of another Canon flash having this problem ever since.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

diverhank
Authority

@Jaymiemetz wrote:

I can't find the link but there has been talks regarding this problem on other forums.  As I recalled, this was due to a component failure in the flash and it will have to be sent in for repair.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Jaymiemetz
Contributor
Thank you.

Jaymiemetz
Contributor
I would say this issue seems to be different. The flash never changes modes on its own. I think it may need a component repair. Thank you for the help though.

Tim
Authority

Hello Jaymiemetz, 

We recommend setting up a repair for your Speedlite 600EX RT on our web site.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements