cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my Speedlite 580EX II with my film camera EOS 500

BatheItDaily
Apprentice

Hello all,

sorry to just pop in like this, but there really isn't the information out there to answer this.

I'd really like to start using my film camera again, but I don't have a flash other than the newer Speedlites.

The connections seem the same but I'm not sure if/how they will work together.

Has anyone tried this ?

Many thanks

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does your camera use ETTL?

Is it a type A or Type B?

Thanks for your reply.

The manual says "Flash AE (A-TTL with the built in flash or A-TTL or TTL program flash AE with a Speedlite )"

@BatheItDailywrote:

Thanks for your reply.

The manual says "Flash AE (A-TTL with the built in flash or A-TTL or TTL program flash AE with a Speedlite )"

Check the manual, but I'm pretty sure that the 580EX II does have a TTL mode, so it should work. Just don't inadvertently leave it set to E-TTL mode.

And don't forget to change it back to E-TTL when you want to use it with your digital cameras again.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for your answer.

I have also looked at the 580EX II manual. It says the Speedlite will work with all Type A cameras ( E-TTL II & E-TTL )

It will also work with Type B cameras ( TTL only ).

I'm fairly sure my EOS 500 is a Type B camera. So it look like it will work but in a limited way.

There's a long list of features it can't do with Type B cameras so I won't bore you here.

I guess it's time to connect the 2 bits of kit and see what happens.

I will report back here with the results eventually, just in case you're interested. But since it's film it might take a while.

Thanks for all the help.

Announcements