cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can 420 EZ be used with T1i and higher using wireless triggers ?

viv
Apprentice

Well the title in itself is complete.

I have an old 420 EZ lying with me, is it possible to use it with T1i and higher using wireless triggers lke Youngnu ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

@viv wrote:

I have an old 420 EZ lying with me, is it possible to use it with T1i and higher using wireless triggers lke Youngnu ?

Thanks

There is not enough data to give you a definite answer (regarding the triggers).  The bottom line is that your camera only supports the EX series of flash.  If you put any other flashes on the hot shoe...the best is that the flash fires but it would probably fires at full power.  It may not fire at all, on the other hand.

With some sort of triggers...then it depends on the triggers.  I think that it will most likely work but only in manual flash mode only - no ETTL or second curtain, High Speed Sync, etc.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@viv wrote:

Thanks

I dunno. 

The Canon flash can be used the Canon T1i.  You should ask third party manufacturers which Canon gear that their flash devices can work with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

@viv wrote:

Thanks

There is not enough data to give you a definite answer (regarding the triggers).  The bottom line is that your camera only supports the EX series of flash.  If you put any other flashes on the hot shoe...the best is that the flash fires but it would probably fires at full power.  It may not fire at all, on the other hand.

With some sort of triggers...then it depends on the triggers.  I think that it will most likely work but only in manual flash mode only - no ETTL or second curtain, High Speed Sync, etc.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The manual for my T6S says that you can use an EZ flash, but as you said, full power only.

Got it.. Thanks

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Viv,

Thank you for posting.

Diverhank and Kvbarkley are correct. Canon "EZ" series flash units, designed for earlier Canon film cameras, should work with your EOS Rebel T1i, but will only fire at full power. They will not communicate with your camera.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for answering..

Richard wrote:

Hi Viv,

Thank you for posting.

Diverhank and Kvbarkley are correct. Canon "EZ" series flash units, designed for earlier Canon film cameras, should work with your EOS Rebel T1i, but will only fire at full power. They will not communicate with your camera.

I agree that they will not communicate with your camera. But is it really true that they will fire only at full power? I know nothing about the EZ series. But many electronic flash units, even some fairly early ones, have had a mode that enabled them to decide on their own how much light was needed. You told the unit the aperture value in use and the ISO rating of the film, and it would read the scene and adjust the intensity and/or duration of the flash accordingly. It wasn't as sophisticated as the various TTL algorithms, obviously, but it did work passably well. Did the EZ series have something like that?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements