cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to wireless (not optical) fire 580EX with 600EX-RT

painter
Apprentice

TIA

I can't seem to figure out a way to fire my 500EX with my 600EX-RT using a wireless method. I can set the optical flash option but not the wireless option, if there is one?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Peter
Authority
Authority

600EX-RT = radio or optical.
580EX = only optical.

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 580EX either (a) the hot-shoe connection, or (b) a wired flash sync cord, or (c) the "optical" wireless system.  It pre-dates the Canon radio triggering system.

Only speedlites with the "-RT" suffix support radio.  That means the 600EX-RT (or version II), the 430EX III RT, and the commander is the ST-E3-RT module (or use an RT flash that can work in commander mode.)

The 600 and 580 can be used at the same time *if* you enable "optical" mode but this does require line-of-sight (although in small rooms the reflection tends to be enough.)

I should mention that the optical works well if you know a secret.... the optical receiver is in the lower part of the 580 flash and of course you know the head of the flash swivels.  If you use a 580 (or any optical flash) off-camera, rotate the flash so that the lower unit faces the on-camera master ... then swivel the head of the flash to direct the light anywhere you want it to go.  People tend to run into reliability issues if the flash simply faces forward (as is fairly tyipcal) but tends to be very reliable if the lower unit is actually facing the trigger -- and this works surprisingly farther away that I would have expected as long as the line-of-sight is clear.

The "Speedliter's Handbook" by Syl Arena is an excellent book for all things in the Canon flash world.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority

600EX-RT = radio or optical.
580EX = only optical.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 580EX either (a) the hot-shoe connection, or (b) a wired flash sync cord, or (c) the "optical" wireless system.  It pre-dates the Canon radio triggering system.

Only speedlites with the "-RT" suffix support radio.  That means the 600EX-RT (or version II), the 430EX III RT, and the commander is the ST-E3-RT module (or use an RT flash that can work in commander mode.)

The 600 and 580 can be used at the same time *if* you enable "optical" mode but this does require line-of-sight (although in small rooms the reflection tends to be enough.)

I should mention that the optical works well if you know a secret.... the optical receiver is in the lower part of the 580 flash and of course you know the head of the flash swivels.  If you use a 580 (or any optical flash) off-camera, rotate the flash so that the lower unit faces the on-camera master ... then swivel the head of the flash to direct the light anywhere you want it to go.  People tend to run into reliability issues if the flash simply faces forward (as is fairly tyipcal) but tends to be very reliable if the lower unit is actually facing the trigger -- and this works surprisingly farther away that I would have expected as long as the line-of-sight is clear.

The "Speedliter's Handbook" by Syl Arena is an excellent book for all things in the Canon flash world.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your help. I just needed to confirm the non-radio-wireless method.
Thanks for that.

There is a 3rd party solution by using an optical to Radio adaptor such as the Yongnuo YNE3-RX.  It costs about $40 and does a wonderful job (full ETTL capability)

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements