cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 430-EX-II and a 600-EX-RT off-camera with a 5D Mark II?

juliusza
Contributor

Hi,

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I've looked around a bit and am clueless.

For some months now, I'd been experimenting with an off-camera flash (430-EX-II) triggered by a simple, cheap wireless trigger, all in manual mode. I wanted to add a second light source, to the set-up so in the end decided to go for a 600-EX-RT, thinking that after a year or so I'd replace the 430 by another 600.

Until I'd get the other 600, I was planning to work with a trigger with two receivers I'd attach to both of the flashes. But now I see that the triggers available on the market are not compatible with the 600, only with previous flash models. And I of course cannot make use of the radio transmission system of the 600, as the 430 does not use it...

Is there any way at all that I can use both flashes together? 

Many thanks in advance!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The 600EX can be used to trigger the 430EX II wirelessly (optical) in full ETTL mode.

QuickGuide to Speedlite 600EX-RT Optical Wireless Flash Setup

View solution in original post

I believe you can use the off-camera flash cord.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Yes for short distances you can use a Canon OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord. I also have a 3 meter version of that cord made by Yongnuo, it is identical in quality to the shorter Canon one.

Another option depending on how far you are moving your flashes off camera and what the lighting conditions are is the Canon Speedlite 90EX this little flash released with the EOS M is the smallest flash that has Speedlite Master Flash capabilities. As long as both of your off camera flashes are within 15' and in line of sight of the camera this is an option also.

6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The 600EX can be used to trigger the 430EX II wirelessly (optical) in full ETTL mode.

QuickGuide to Speedlite 600EX-RT Optical Wireless Flash Setup

Very many thanks, much appreciated!

This was very helpful, thank you - now I manage to use the 600 as master and the 430 as slave, however only when the 600 is mounted directly on the camera.

And is there anything I could do to make both flashes work off-camera? I've tried using the remote trigger, which aaaalmost works, but there is a fraction of a second (long enough to be visible to the eye) of a delay between the two flashes, which of course makes this set up rather useless.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Yes for short distances you can use a Canon OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord. I also have a 3 meter version of that cord made by Yongnuo, it is identical in quality to the shorter Canon one.

Another option depending on how far you are moving your flashes off camera and what the lighting conditions are is the Canon Speedlite 90EX this little flash released with the EOS M is the smallest flash that has Speedlite Master Flash capabilities. As long as both of your off camera flashes are within 15' and in line of sight of the camera this is an option also.

Very many thanks for this, very helpful!

Announcements