Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

600ex-rt not firing

All of a sudden my 600ex-rant doesn't fire. It communicates with the camera (wakes up when half pressing the shutter, f-stop indicator changes when I change it on the camera) but it won't fire when I take a picture.

It fires when you press the flash button on the unit itself, so it's not the bulb. The contacts appear clean and other triggers work on my hot shoe. What gives? And is it possible for me to fix this?
Respected Contributor

Re: 600ex-rt not firing

Kmlewis wrote:
All of a sudden my 600ex-rant doesn't fire. It communicates with the camera (wakes up when half pressing the shutter, f-stop indicator changes when I change it on the camera) but it won't fire when I take a picture.

It fires when you press the flash button on the unit itself, so it's not the bulb. The contacts appear clean and other triggers work on my hot shoe. What gives? And is it possible for me to fix this?

Check the external flash control setting in the camera's menu. Most likely it is disabled some where in there.

New Contributor

I am having the exact same issue with my 600EX-RT's. I have two which i use as slaves on my Canon 5D Mark IV with a brand new ST-E3-RT Transmitter as a master. They were both working perfectly fine, firing in every shot. Now one of the flashes (Slave B), only fires once every 4-6 shots. Batteries are good,and it is enabled in my external flash settings in the camera. Any idea why this is happening ? 

Esteemed Contributor

Lui-G wrote:

I am having the exact same issue with my 600EX-RT's. I have two which i use as slaves on my Canon 5D Mark IV with a brand new ST-E3-RT Transmitter as a master. They were both working perfectly fine, firing in every shot. Now one of the flashes (Slave B), only fires once every 4-6 shots. Batteries are good,and it is enabled in my external flash settings in the camera. Any idea why this is happening ? 

I assume this is in a studio setting. If you exchange the positions of the two slaves, does the problem follow the device or stay with the position? If the former, try resetting the flash unit. If the latter, try a different channel, in case there's some sort of RF interference that you can't control.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
New Contributor

I tried everything to no avail. I spoke to Canon who suggested i bring it in for repairs, so i did. Its going to cost about $200 including shipping. I have no choice as i need it for a job ASAP. Thank you anyway for your help.