cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 EX RT firing a blinding light

juliusza
Contributor

My 600 EX RT, mounted on a 5d Mark II, has recently started to fire (or rather light up) full power on its own. It stays on like that for a few seconds.

I vaguely remember I had a similar problem with my 430 Canon flash (mounted on the same camera) and that a trainer at a photo workshop helped me solve it by changing the camera settings. 

Would someone be able to tell me what I'd need to do with this issue, which is obviously very unpleasant for anyone into whose eyes the flash shines?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

@juliusza wrote:

My 600 EX RT, mounted on a 5d Mark II, has recently started to fire (or rather light up) full power on its own. It stays on like that for a few seconds.

I vaguely remember I had a similar problem with my 430 Canon flash (mounted on the same camera) and that a trainer at a photo workshop helped me solve it by changing the camera settings. 

Would someone be able to tell me what I'd need to do with this issue, which is obviously very unpleasant for anyone into whose eyes the flash shines?

Many thanks in advance!

There are two possibilities why you are observing extended lighting up - none will happen on its own, though.

1. You've accidentally activated the modeling flash mode.  This happens when you depress the depth of field button which is below the lens release button when the flash is on and mounted.  You can disable this by setting the Cfn option in the flash. I would change this to option 1.

Capture.JPG

2. You've set the flash to MULTI (strobe mode).  Change it to ETTL will solve this problem.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure both camera and flash are set to E-TTL mode.  Do you have instruction manuals?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Make sure both camera and flash are set to E-TTL mode.  Do you have instruction manuals?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/

That's one possibility; but if it stays on for a discernible amount of time, I'd be more likely to suspect high-speed sync or autofocus assist beam. (If it's the latter, there should be a way to set the beam to IR, rather than visible light.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

@juliusza wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

There are two possibilities why you are observing extended lighting up - none will happen on its own, though.

1. You've accidentally activated the modeling flash mode.  This happens when you depress the depth of field button which is below the lens release button when the flash is on and mounted.  You can disable this by setting the Cfn option in the flash. I would change this to option 1.

Capture.JPG

2. You've set the flash to MULTI (strobe mode).  Change it to ETTL will solve this problem.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you very much for all the replies and sorry for not having replied earlier! 

Diverhank, your solution seems to have worked - the flash no longer lights up! Will keep an eye on this in the next few days. Thanks again.

Waddizzle, thanks  - I had the flash set on "Manual" and was hoping to keep it that way, rather than using ETTL...

Robert the Fat, if this doesn't work, i'll read more about high-speed sync and autofocus assist beam 😉

A Happy New Year to all and thanks again!

Announcements