cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580EX II will not fire when attached to Canon 60D

Studio_34
Apprentice

My 480 speedlite works fine but everything I try to get my 580 to work fails. It works as a slave. I took ot to Sammy's cameras months ago the sales rep got it to work but I don't know how he did it.

Where do I start to make it work?

Custom functions?

8 REPLIES 8

diverhank
Authority

Can you describe the problems?  Flash doesn't fire? Fired but too dark?  What mode are you in? What lighting conditions, etc...

We can't help very well if the description is too broad...Like "Where do I start to make it work?"...I don't feel like starting with :

1. Turn it on, 2..blah blah :).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I have tried all modes from program to manual and the flash will not fire when shutter button is depressed.

The flash's LED redout shows no errors and the works fine on my T1i.

When I put my older 480 speedlite on the 60D it works fine.

I suspect there may be a custom function interferring with it working - all custom functions on the flash are set to 0.

Haven't looked at the custom functions on the 60D yet.

Any ideas?

I don't think there is any option to disable the flash (except for the non-flash mode on the mode dial).

The 580EX II is known for having poor contacts - the pins are more rounded than other flashes.  This might be the cause...you should make sure that all the pins on the flash are moving freely - they are spring-loaded  (not stuck).  You might want to clean the flash and camera contacts and remember to wiggle the flash and make sure it's properly seated and locked.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 580EX II had a known issue where the screws that hold the foot plate on would get a bit loose and this would result in the pins failing to get a good contact.  If the plate is loose then you'd notice that the flash is a bit wobbly on the camera -- even when the locking lever is clamped down to secure it.

Canon once had a special service program to repair it.  In Canon's service they didn't just snug down the loose screws... they replaced the plate with a better model that had better pins as well.  But if the program is no longer offered (i'ts been many years -- you should check with them as it wouldn't surprise me if the program is no longer offered) you can likely fix it yourself -- there are numerous videos that walk through the process and it's not very difficult.  

Four screws hold the foot assembly in place.  Once removed you can gently open that (there is a wiring harness attached so open it up gently).  On the inside there are four screws that hold the metal foot plate to the base of the foot.  Those screws are the ones that are known for coming lose.  

Here's a helpful YouTube video that describes the process:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjk9wg3B2w8

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for your help.

If I buy a used 5D MII would my 580EX II work with that body?

@Studio_34 wrote:

Thank you for your help.

Yes - actually the 580EX II was "the" flagship flash when the 5D Mk II was the new current 5D camera.  I used my 5D II with my 580EX II for years.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@Studio_34 wrote:

Thank you for your help.

As TCCampbell stated...except if your 580EXII  doesn't work with the 60D, it won't work with the 5DMarkII either.  It's not because the 60D is too new to work with this flash.  I'm using a 580EXII with my 5D Mark III and 7D Mark II (which is newer than the 60D) without any problems.

It worked fine on my 5D so this must mean it will work with a 5D MII. It's strange it worked on my 60D for a month after I bought it then it stopped working. Anyway want to grow my photo skills and what I can afford now is a used Canon DSLR.

Question for you all...

I have a 60D and want better quality with a budget of 1200$. Should I buy an "L" series lens or a 5D MII or 6D. I know I'll need a lens that fits a full frame sensor so perhaps I start there? 

Should I buy used Tameron/Sigma or stick with Canon?

I may be able to get used L lens and 5D MII with my buudget.

What I know is I work as a product photographer full time and deliver photos for E-commerce and my company is completely satisfied with the quality I am providing (with a lot of post work) but I am not. When I compare my shoots with the professional community I see a marked difference in quality. I want to do better and get better.

Thank you...

Announcements