Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: 580EX II fires full power only on some flash triggers (but not on others)

For anyone who has the same problem, I couldn't solve it with the Yongnuo triggers so I returned the whole lot. I'm now waiting for Godox triggers instead. Going to try that and if that fails, I will send my 580 to Canon for service.
Reputable Contributor

By the way, do you have any flash that goes off by the light of other flashes and not via the trigger(s)?  The 580EX II doesn't like that and half of the time will shoot full power.  My 580EX II does the same.  Other flashes like the 600EX don't seem to do it, just the 580EX II

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Occasional Contributor

No, no flashes being triggered optically in this set up. When I do trigger the 580 optically with my 7DII,, it works with ETTL fine, even if I have a 480 being triggered optically too. It's weird because the 580 literally is perfect all the time except on these triggers. I really hope it's just a 580+YN glitch and that my Godox purchase is more successful Smiley Frustrated
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Final update on the problem: It was the Yongnuo triggers at fault. My Godox triggers and transmitter arrived today and they work perfectly with the 580EX II as expected in ETTL (and the 430EX II works perfectly too). For some reason there is something about the YN triggers that was at fault... what, exactly, I will never know. But Godox solved the problem Smiley Happy Very happy!