cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580 EX II Stuck!

Valentiaman
Apprentice

I went to use my Canon Speedlite 580EX II after a few weeks today, on a professional press job, and encountered what seems to be a serious problem.

When I switch on, it goes into what I think is "Master" mode (as via the long press of the Zoom button), showing a graphic of the flash unit, a small Z, and the word "OFF" flashing.

When I move the centre dial, nothing happens. The only button that works seems to be the control function /C.Fn. I can get Fn 01 0 on the screen, but again, it won't change when I move the circular dial. No other buttons have any effect and I can only get back to the flashing OFF message by switching the Speedlite off and then back on again.

I have a feeling it's decided to give up the ghost (it is probably 15 years old), but I'm hoping someone will have a simple solution. Unfortuntely, I have to go on my pressob without a flash!

Stephen

2 REPLIES 2

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi Valentiaman,

This behavior is definitely unusual. As you suggest it may be that the flash is just in need of service after years of use. If the flash controls are not responding when the flash is not attached to a camera body either, then I recommend sending it in for a no-cost, no-obligation repair estimate.  

For information and instructions for sending in your flash for an estimate please contact our Technical Support team HERE or at the link below.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/contact-support/

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

All those controls you mention can be controlled through the camera’s flash menu providing your camera is not more than about 10 years old. I would try using the flash menu to see it you can change the settings. 

The 580EX II has been on the market for about 11 years. If you have the older 580EX, it can not be controlled by the camera flash menu.

Mike Sowsun
Announcements