cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

430exII fires twice in Manual mode on radio triggers??????? I need it to stop!

ebkphoto
Contributor

I've been using 430exII on radio recievers and have had no problems until now.  I have it set to manual mode, on same channel as transmitter, didn't mess with any custom funcions, but am getting a double burst.  How can I stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As I said above, try swapping the triggers and see where the problem is, that way you can narrow down between flash and trigger as the source.  Looks like the Calumet triggers have a button on them for manual testing, I'd try that on the transmitter too, that way you can eliminate the transmitter/camera interface as a source.

I poked around on the nets and looks like there is some reports of the Calumet's with double and random triggers.  Maybe you have a bad unit.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Just a guess but is AF assist enabled (on the camera)?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the reply Cicopo.  No it's not.  So strange!

How about red eye reduction on the camera, is that turned on? (Not even sure if that can be be turned on with manual flash.)

Hey 7D5D, No red eye reduction.  It's not even a preflash, it's like two full power discharges.  I'm going to call Canon in the morning and ask them what the deal is.  Thankfully I have three of them and used another one to finish my shoot.    I couldn't find anything about it in a google search either.  Never heard of this happening. Thanks so much for the respones!!!

Which radio triggers are you using?  Not sure how much Canon is going to help with 3rd party triggers.

So it's only happening with one of your flashes?  What if you put that trigger on a different flash? That way you can narrow down the flash or the trigger.  If it's the trigger I'd start with the battery.  Cheap triggers like the Yongnuos act funky when the battery starts to die.  I'd also double check your transmitter and receiver contacts, they can make things act up as well.   Pull them all the way off, all the way on snug and lock.

If it's the 430 acting up I'm not even sure where to start.  Batteries, contacts for corrosion, the usual stuff I guess.  See if it works properly on camera.  If your transmitter allows a test fire try that manually and see if it still double fires.

Thanks Skirball, it must be the triggers because it works fine when mounted on camera. I'm using Calumet trigger/receivers which may be the issue. Thanks for the advice!

As I said above, try swapping the triggers and see where the problem is, that way you can narrow down between flash and trigger as the source.  Looks like the Calumet triggers have a button on them for manual testing, I'd try that on the transmitter too, that way you can eliminate the transmitter/camera interface as a source.

I poked around on the nets and looks like there is some reports of the Calumet's with double and random triggers.  Maybe you have a bad unit.

I tried using my buddy's calumet triggers and did not experience the problem.  Looks like I have faulty units.  Thanks so much for helping me with this!!!

Announcements