cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Speedlite recommendation for both R6 mark ii & 5D mark iv

MonStar27
Contributor

Hello all, can anyone recommend a new Canon Speedlite compatible with both the new R6 mark ii & 5D mark iv?

It would mainly be used in ETTL for indoor events. I believe the Canon EL-5 is only compatible with the R6 and not the 5D....so what about the 430EXIII-RT Speedlite or is the (much more expensive) Canon Speedlite EL-1 an option? 

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you for your response! But actually, I have just called Canon to double check and only the 430EX iii-RT and 600ex ii RT are compatible with both bodies - all 3 of the EL speedlites you mention are only suited for the R6, but NOT the 5D.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Canon would not have updated the 5D Mark IV System Map in the manual to include the latest speedlites. With the downloaded manual, check the date on the last page (back cover) of the manual.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Both camera are fully compatible with EX series speedlites. They both can use the EL-100 & EL-1. But the EL-5 can only be used on a camera with a Multi Function Hot Shoe. Do you have a budget in mind.

• EL-100 entry level
  • 430EX III-RT mid range
  • EL-5 high end mid range
  • EL-1 top of the line 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you for your response! But actually, I have just called Canon to double check and only the 430EX iii-RT and 600ex ii RT are compatible with both bodies - all 3 of the EL speedlites you mention are only suited for the R6, but NOT the 5D.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@MonStar27,

I'd just like to confirm what Demetrius said.

You can use the el-1 and el-100 with the 5D4.  The 430 EXIII-RT is also compatible, The EL-5 is not compatible due to its shoe.  I'm not sure why you were told the other flashes wouldn't work.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hmmmm that's interesting! I need to look into this further. Canon was referring to the manuals for each camera and sent me the links - see attached screenshots. Only the 430 EXIII-R and 600ex ii RT are mentioned but that could be because Canon did not update the 5D manual when the new speedlites were produced! What do you think?R6(far right column)R6(far right column)5D5D

Anonymous
Not applicable

Canon would not have updated the 5D Mark IV System Map in the manual to include the latest speedlites. With the downloaded manual, check the date on the last page (back cover) of the manual.

Canon DOES NOT upgrade the system map for previously released cameras. So those camera manuals won't mention that speedlite because it didn't exist at the time of release. For instance the EOS 40D was released in 2007. So it makes no mention of the original speedlite 270EX. That speedlite was released in 2009 alongside the original EOS 7D. But the EOS 40D is fully compatible with the original 270EX. In fact it was the first mid range camera from Canon to support the External Speedlite Control Menu. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Makes perfect sense Demetrius. Shame the guy at Canon didn't think of that...I should have just gone to a camera shop to ask more questions! For what it's worth, I think I'll get the 430 EXIII-R as it will suit my needs (used mainly for indoor corporate events). Unfortunately, there is no stock available in Australia for the 600EX anymore (this is the Speedlite I damaged and not repairable) and the E1 is too expensive here at $1500-$1800. Thanks again for your advice! 

Note if the lighting is low or there is insufficient contrast. The speedlite will utilize Intermittent Flash Firing. To assist the camera's AF system. But this is dependent on the ambient lighting. All of Canon's speedlites work this way with R series cameras. Since the "IR" AF Assist Beam is incompatible with mirrorless cameras. Some speedlites have a choice between "IR" and Intermittent Flash Firing. When set to "IR" Intermittent Flash Firing is used. All that setting does when it's set to Intermittent Flash Firing and a color filter or diffuser is attached. The camera emits an AF Assist Beam. Since Intermittent Flash Firing doesn't work with with a flash diffuser or color filter.

-Demetrius

Announcements