cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of an Era - Moving off of Speedlites

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

As with many here, I have been experiencing the dropped link issues with the 600-series flashes.  I was also not too thrilled with the much higher cost of the EL-1 units.  After all, I have a total of six Speedlites (600 EX-RT) and to replace them would be costly.

I just received my first Profoto light today.  The B10X Plus.   But before I go into details, I wanted to share my journey with the Canon flashes.  Which for the most part was extremely enjoyable!

In 2013, I had picked up my first DLSR (Rebel T4i) and I believe I had caught a presentation by Syl Arena on B&H's event space channel on YouTube. I immediately purchased a 430 EX II along with a 3-foot cable to start working with off-camera flash (albeit, within 3 feet).  I was hooked.  Also picked up Syl's books.

In 2014, I had the opportunity to attend a workshop in my area presented by Canon Explorers of Light Stephen Eastwood and Bob Davis.  Before that workshop, I had moved to the EOS 6D along with having the two-light flash kit with transmitter (600 EX-RT units and ST-E3-RT).  After the workshop, I had planned on adding more lights.

Over the next few years, I had added a third light, then fourth.  But in wanting to use larger modifiers, I picked up another two.  This would allow me to still have a three light setup.  Where one light involved ganging up four of the Speedlites together.

Now then, I don't shoot professionally at all.  But on occasion, I would think up some project and set up the lights.

This past May is when I first experienced the dropped links when outside.  Perhaps I would have earlier, but I typically did projects in my basement and for 2022, I really didn't do much with them.

When it was time to invest in a new system, I decided that it was time to move to monolights.  Tech has really caught up and there are several battery-powered monolights these days.  I always missed out on having a modeling light, so that is something I really wanted.

Also, I wanted much more power.  Setting up the four speedlights together is a pain and it then leads me to only having two other flashes to put elsewhere.  Attemping to have even lighting on my backdrop also typically took four lights.

And, I wanted a system where I could have a solid gel solution.  It's something I really enjoy working with.  The original 600-EX RT units had a clear gel holder.  And I ended up making a ton of custom gels for it from a Rosco sample gel booklet.   The 2nd-gen 600-EX RT units dropped the clear holder and the head was slightly larger.

After much research, decided to move to Profo.   What follows are results of a quick test in comparing a single B10X Plus to four 600-EX RTs.

Profoto setupProfoto setup

For my setup, I used a Westcott 43" Deep white umbrella where its opening was exactly 4 feet away from the mannequin's forehead.  Shown above is the Profoto light with the modeling light engaged.

And below is the Canon setup.  Same modifier and distance.

canon_setup.jpg

All images below taken with a EOS 5D IV and 135mm f/2 L lens.

The left-side image here was taken with the Profoto B10X Plus at full power.  Camera settings of f/16, 1/200 s and ISO 100.   The right-side image was taken with the four Canon flashes all at full power.  I had them zoomed to 24mm and had the diffusion panel engaged.   I needed to open the lens to f/11 to get the same exposure.

profoto_vs_canon.png

And here is another pair.  The left-side is the same f/11 shot with the Canon flashes.  And the right-hand one is also with the Canon flashes with f/11.  But, I disenaged the diffusion panels and zoomed the flashes to 200mm (So as to have their highest guide number).  However, this ended up not filling the umbrella very well.

canon_wide_vs_zoom.png

In terms of raw power, the B10X Plus is the equivalent of eight 600-EX-RTs! Awesome!  Going forward, for additional units, will most likely go with the B10X models which would each be the equivalent of four 600-EX-RTs.

Even though I had my camera set to 5500 K for all images taken, the Profoto image looks a tad bit more warm which I like.  I'll have to later capture a color chart to see how much of a shift.  Or, perhaps I'm just so used to the Canon flash images that I haven't noticed them being a tad cooler?

Finally, during this very short test, I didn't experience any link drops with the Canon flashes as I did about a week or so ago now.  So it all seems very random.

No link drops at all with the Profoto gear so far.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
2 REPLIES 2

Nick55
Enthusiast

RS

I feel your pain. 

5 600’s and 2 ST Transmitters all worked flawlessly in any environment from Day 1 in May of 2012 until January of 23 when “Link Drop” inflated my one home. 
Canon only “Speculates” Interference. 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

No doubt, it's some kind of interference.   To this day, still no communications issues at all with the Profoto light.  A very expensive brand, but really liking their system.

Happy to be able to just work on projects without drops.  Hope that they'll either be a solution for your Canon lights, or you're able to also move to a different brand where things just work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements