Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,519
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: raw to jpg not working


_Mac_ wrote:

For me:

1. I start DPP

2. I go to a folder where I have RAW files I want to convert to JPEG

3. I edit the RAW files (e.g. crop, etc.)

4. I select the pictures I want to convert

5. I click the button Save (or something like this: I have the French version, I don't know what's the English label) with an arrow pointing to a folder

6. I click Save

And here the problem starts: the dialog box closes then DPP freezes for several seconds and that's all. If we use the Window key+Tab we can see that DPPBatchSaveMainForm window that still exists even if we close DPP. This procedure worked only once: the very first time I used DPP.


That's pretty much what I suspected was happening. And I think I remember saying so in an earlier post. (I'm too lazy to look it up.)

 

That "Save" button you're using is the equivalent of the "Convert and save" command on the "File" menu. It will convert ONLY ONE file and then quit. And my recollection (which your experience appears to confirm) is that it doesn't warn you that that's what it's doing. And note that that button is entirely unrelated to, and functionally very different from, the "Save" command on the "File" menu. Yes, it's confusing. Yes, it's unacceptable in a piece of commercial software in the 21st Century. But that's the way it is.

 

If you want to convert more than one file at a time, you must use the "Batch process" command on the "File" menu.

 

Obviously I'm referring to the English version here. I've never seen the French version, so I don't know how that button, and the commands on the "File" menu, are labelled there. But I'd bet that the functionality is the same.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-16-2017

Re: raw to jpg not working

The Save button is actually able to handle both cases, actually: when you select only 1 file it behaves exactly like the Convert and save menu and when you select 2+ files it behaves like the Batch processing menu.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,053
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: raw to jpg not working

[ Edited ]

_Mac_ wrote:

The Save button is actually able to handle both cases, actually: when you select only 1 file it behaves exactly like the Convert and save menu and when you select 2+ files it behaves like the Batch processing menu.


I think it may vary slightly depending upon the file type, JPEG or RAW.  With RAW files, your edits are saved when you click "Savw", but you won't generate a JPEG until you do "Convert and Save".

 

[EDIT]. With JPEG files, "Save" seems to be nondestructive, while "Convert and Save" can be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,519
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: raw to jpg not working


_Mac_ wrote:

The Save button is actually able to handle both cases, actually: when you select only 1 file it behaves exactly like the Convert and save menu and when you select 2+ files it behaves like the Batch processing menu.


Did you at least try the "Batch process" command? If it does the job, it shouldn't matter whether the "Save" button works as intended.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
New Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-27-2017

Re: raw to jpg not working

Same to me,

 

I have this Digital Photo Professional 4 Batch proces running, with a subprocess called DPPBatchSaveMainForm. But it just starts-up, but no respons/ending.

 

I tried killing this process and in sometimes the 'Save' or 'Export and Save' function works, that is a dialog window pops-up with some progress indicator and it indeed exports/saves my file in .jpg format. However it doesn't work in all cases : it justs launches this DPP4 batch process running in the background and nothing to happen.

 

I already tried de-activing anti-virus soft, handling local files instead of files on my sd card and so on. But it doesn't solve this issue.

 

For anything else the DPP4 soft seems to work fine.

 

Any ideas?

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-16-2017

Re: raw to jpg not working

[ Edited ]

RobertTheFat wrote:
Did you at least try the "Batch process" command? If it does the job, it shouldn't matter whether the "Save" button works as intended.

Hello,

 

Yes, I tried both and the result is the same.

 

I did a lot of tests and it seems that the File > Batch processing menu works much better than the button or the File > Convert and save menu. This menu seems to work in most cases whereas the Convert menu or the button, even if I select several files to batch process pictures, do not work correctly. However there are still some occasions where the batch processing does not work and I don't know why...

 

So far I would say to always use the batch processing menu: if you try the convert and save menu and that DPP freezes then the batch processing no longer works, even if you close the "ghost" window. If you close DPP, start it again and run a batch process it should work (most of the time, but not always).

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,519
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: raw to jpg not working


_Mac_ wrote:

RobertTheFat wrote:
Did you at least try the "Batch process" command? If it does the job, it shouldn't matter whether the "Save" button works as intended.

Hello,

 

Yes, I tried both and the result is the same.

 

I did a lot of tests and it seems that the File > Batch processing menu works much better than the button or the File > Convert and save menu. This menu seems to work in most cases whereas the Convert menu or the button, even if I select several files to batch process pictures, do not work correctly. However there are still some occasions where the batch processing does not work and I don't know why...

 

So far I would say to always use the batch processing menu: if you try the convert and save menu and that DPP freezes then the batch processing no longer works, even if you close the "ghost" window. If you close DPP, start it again and run a batch process it should work (most of the time, but not always).


I've never had that experience; the "Batch Process" command has always worked correctly for me. Is it possible that you have a permission issue with some of your image files?

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-16-2017

Re: raw to jpg not working

I thought about that: I also tried running DPP as admin but this does not change anything.

New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-24-2017

Re: raw to jpg not working

[ Edited ]

Mine is doing the same freaking thing SMH...I usually don't have issues with it, but all of a sudden it just stopped converting my pics about a week and a half ago. I hate LR. Anybody figured out the solution? I hit convert and save like usual but then the progression box just stays blank like below and nothing is processed:dpp.jpgfor the problem?

New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-10-2017

Re: raw to jpg not working

These errrors seem similar to mine. Recently bought 6D1 and have downloaded DPP4 as it was shipped with DPP3 (!).  I have shot in Raw and JPEG (i.e. duplicated).  When I edit a raw file and try to convert and save I get a window just displaying the JPEG images.  I then get the chance to convert JPEG to...JPEG! Is there a tick box  somewhere?  I have tried with a few raw images and the same problem. Here I was trying to convert the raw imager 0049 to Tiff or Jpeg to try the system.

 

dpp.PNG

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement