cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new software is junk.

hatenewsoftware
Apprentice

DONT BUY A CANON!

I did because I liked my old Canon and loved the software. The new software is worse than junk. OMG, It's terrible.

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

You aren't being very specific about what software you don't like nor why but I buy my cameras because they fit my needs equipment wise & not for the included software. It's the tools & user that do the work, not the tool box.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes, I am dying to know what you mean. It (the software) hasn't changed all that much in many years.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hatenewsoftware
Apprentice

The image downloading and viewing software that comes with the cameras (powershot elph130is) vs the old version of software that came with my powershot 560.

Downloading the images is 10 times more work.

Before I plugged in camera and it did it all, saved images into folders by year/ month (which if still does) then removes images from camera with absolutely ZERO interaction. Unplug camera and zoom brower would open with thumbnails of all the images you just loaded again with ZERO interaction.

With the new software.

Plug in camera. Software requires me to OK auto download or it does nothing. Not very automatic.

When it's done it reuires me to OK that it is done. It's not like there is a chioce to not OK it, so what am I OKing?

Unplug camera. Now I have to OK that it will auto open the image browser. It does nothing till I OK. Again, not what I call automatic.

Finally we at ready to view the pictures except the new software for that takes 10+ minutes to thumbnail a dozen pictures. The old view did it in seconds.

But wait, still not done. Since the new software won't auto delete images on camera after download now I need to go do that manually.

Old software= zero interaction. time required= zero.

New software= Have to sit here and keep clicking OK to progress, then wait for slow viewer, then manually delete off camera.

The new tool is junk.

Before you tell me it's the user, I am a IT administrator with 30 years of experience, started on Unix before Windows existed. Which is why I find it so anoying Canon would supply software that sucks when the old stuff was great. Change is fine if there is a resaon to change, but at least don't change it to make it worse.  And yes, I did try every possible way to get the new camera to work with the old software, it would not.

The thread right below this someone else started complaining about the spead. If you search there is another about the software not auto deleteing after download.

The Elph 130 IS isn't the speediest camera on the block.  Not one of Canon's better ideas.

I guess I won't suggest software tweaks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

So far the camera is an aceptable replacement except it doesn't have "kids and pets" mode like the old one, which basicly was fast shutter for action. But the camera function has nothing to do with the software sucking.

I've never had a program that was fully automated like you describe BUT I most definately don't want one which removes or deletes the files on the card until they are on at least 2 different drives. Years ago I downloaded images I'd shot at a 2 day event and with just 60 to go the hard drive seized up. Fortunately all of the downloaded cards still had the images on them & nothing other than the drive was lost. Since then I download to 3 drives (minimum) before deleting anything important from my cards.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements