cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS High Sierra not compatible with EOS Utility 2.3.0? Help.

livingdaylights
Apprentice

Foolishly updated my MacBook Pro to MacOS High Sierra over the weekend and tried to download some photos off of my Canon 40D via the EOS Utility so I could update my blog, but it doesn't work.  Nothing happens.  Turned the camera off/on, unplugged the cable/replugged the cable, tried different USB ports, etc.  Nothing happened.  Is the EOS Utility not compatible with High Sierra?  If not, is there a work-around?  Will there be a fix?  Thanks!

33 REPLIES 33

Yay!  Bob you came up with the solution.  Thank you!  It is interesting to see that the card reader, a Lexar, transmits the images as they really are.  The Canon USB cable was displaying the pictures with black vertical borders, as if the aspect ratio had been changed.  I don't understandf the problem, but you got it fixed.

Thanks again.

Phil Brown

[email address removed per forum guidelines]

using card reader is not an issue at all Main issue is communication between camera and laptop for tethered shooting.

Hey!
I've got EOS Utility 3 on my MBP running High Sierra and noticed that I cannot find EOS Utility 3 online anymore, the latest version is now EOS Utility 2.14.31a (which I also have). I'm using a Canon EOS-1D X. I'm trying to use FoCal to calibrate my lenses, however, can only get it work on my old MBP running Sierra, not the new one running High Sierra. EOS Utility doesn't work with High Sierra on my Mac either. Any more suggestions? TIA

The EOS utility with the camera cable works, but not with the card reader. How to configure this??

I am using EOS EOS utility 2.14.31 on Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.2

Hi Tim -

I did as you suggested, and checked that it is indeed version 2.14.31, but it still doesn't work. It looks as if it's working, lets you set up all the folders and subfolders but when you go to actually download, it only downloads one picture then crashes.

Any ideas?

Mouse

hi i tried downloading latest version of canon softwares numerous time but all communication failed.
i am used to shooting tethered great handicap for me

@indergopal wrote:
hi i tried downloading latest version of canon softwares numerous time but all communication failed.
i am used to shooting tethered great handicap for me

This sounds like a new issue.  Since this is an old thread, you may want to create a new thread and provide info on your camera model, computer OS version, and the version of any software you are trying to use with the camera.

I'm on macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) - the latest

I use EOS Utility 3.8.20 - also the latest

I am not having any issues... WiFi works & tethered via USB works.  I can transfer images via the USB cable.  I can use EOS Utility.  I can use other apps such as Apple Photos, Lightroom, and several others.

I normally don't do this... I normally just insert the card into a card reader.  But I *can* do this via USB and it does work (I've tested this numerous times when users claim the software doesn't work.)

One important detail... only ONE application at a time can take control of the camera.  Often, the computer will auto-launch some default application just because you connected and powered up the camera.  This can interfere with the program you *want* to use being able to control the camera.

For example, you wont be able to import images into Photos or Lightroom if EOS Utility auto-launches when you connect the camera (you would need to quit EOS Utility and then launch Lightroom or Photos or whatever software you prefer to use.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim 

Thanks for responding.

I actually had to buy a new MacBook Pro 15" and it has OS High Sierra ver 10.13.5.

I use Canon 5D Mark 2.

I just followed your suggestions and it is working. Will test more when I go to my studio.

Thanks a lot for sparing your precious time by responding to my problem.

Warm regards,

Inder

www.indergopalphotography.com

I know this is a really old post, but just want to close the loop and say that I still have my MBP 2010 and am currently running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and have successfully installed the latest version of EOS Utility 2.14.31c as well as the latest versions of Digital Photo Professional and PictureStyleEditor.  I was finally able to download all the photos from my 40D via the cable...many moons, eclipses and desert night sky viewings later.....with success!  I finally got around to making the time to do this.  Thanks to all who contributed their time and expertise to this thread.  It's probably time to upgrade the MBP and camera by now.

HI, I am still running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6, and I've not been able to connect my 70D since I stupidly allowed my old iMac to update to it last year. I've just downloaded EOS Utility 2.14.31c as well as 3.11.1.0. The 70D still won't connect by WiFi. I have to have this as I use my 70D as a microscope with an MP-E65 on a copy stand, and compose images, and fire the shutter, using my mouse. I have no option than to use my Samsung S9 to control it, which is very unstable and buggy (it fires the shutter up to 10 times when I touch the 'shoot' icon). I have to say I will never buy another Apple. I am going back to PC when I can afford a new computer.
Announcements