cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital photo professional

TotoEC
Contributor

Maybe this is a dumb question but somebody point me to the correct way..

I am using Digital Photo Professional 4.1.5 under Windows O/S.  I took a bunch of pictures and saved the RAW files separately from the JPeg.  How do you navigate from one directory to another or for that matter from one directory to its sub-directory using the DPP 4.1.5?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

A tiny triangle, about halfway up on the left-hand edge of the window, opens the navigation pane. Why does it have to be so inconspicuous? Who knows? DPP V4, especially its GUI, is most definitely a work in progress.

BTW, there's an option that claims to make the program open on the same folder on which you last closed it. You probably needn't bother to try it; it has never worked for me. (It does work in DPP V3, which is somewhat less buggy and a lot more intuitive than V4. But V4 has some useful features that V3 lacks.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

Bob,

Thank you very much!  My eyes are trained to look at the windows' top and bottom sides and never suspected that the 'navigation option' lurks on its left side.  I totally missed that [blasted] triangle! 

This latest software update forces the program to open on the same folder on which you last closed it - via the "Preference" option under the Tool menu. 

Thanks again for your help!

Toto

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

A tiny triangle, about halfway up on the left-hand edge of the window, opens the navigation pane. Why does it have to be so inconspicuous? Who knows? DPP V4, especially its GUI, is most definitely a work in progress.

BTW, there's an option that claims to make the program open on the same folder on which you last closed it. You probably needn't bother to try it; it has never worked for me. (It does work in DPP V3, which is somewhat less buggy and a lot more intuitive than V4. But V4 has some useful features that V3 lacks.)

Bob

Bob,

Thank you very much!  My eyes are trained to look at the windows' top and bottom sides and never suspected that the 'navigation option' lurks on its left side.  I totally missed that [blasted] triangle! 

This latest software update forces the program to open on the same folder on which you last closed it - via the "Preference" option under the Tool menu. 

Thanks again for your help!

Toto

Or, you can buy Photoshop Elements 12 or Adobe Lightroom 5 and be very much happier.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Or, you can buy Photoshop Elements 12 or Adobe Lightroom 5 and be very much happier.  Smiley Very Happy

Depends on what's important to you. DPP incorporates your editing changes as metadata in the RAW file. I'd be surprised if either of those other two programs does that.

Bob

Bob from Boston,

"Depends on what's important to you."

Yes it does.  I have a friend that loves DPP, just like you.  But if DPP washed the clothes and did the dishes, I wouldn't use it.  Canon needs to do some serious "tweaking" to make it a real prime time player.

Well maybe if it did do the dishes....................Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"Depends on what's important to you."

Yes it does.  I have a friend that loves DPP, just like you.  But if DPP washed the clothes and did the dishes, I wouldn't use it.  Canon needs to do some serious "tweaking" to make it a real prime time player.

Well maybe if it did do the dishes....................Smiley Frustrated

I don't love DPP; I merely prefer it to the alternatives for my current requirements. And I couldn't agree more about the need for tweaks.

Bob

Most people like Elements  or Lightroom because of their 'supposed' better filing systems but if you know "Windows" and its filing system - you will not miss anything.

I use Photoshop since version 3 thru CS6.  Stopped throwing money to Adobe since they moved to Clouds.  Never been a fan of Elements nor Lightroom.  I just prefer DPP over the latter as far as processing RAW is concerned. 

And yes, I love CS6 for its ability to edit not only pictures but also video.  And before you say something else, I also use Premiere and Media Composer 7.  Both doesn't do laundry as well.

connomar
Apprentice

I have just downloaded my first copy of Digital Photo Professional 4.7 and really really wish I hadn't.  My Windows 10 64bit Installation updated a week or so ago to the Fall Addition and I wonder if this is why my problem seems to get no mentions.

The problem:  DPP 4 generates an Error during the install and doesn't complete to the extent that it will uninstall.  The uninstall scripts (.xml) are missing.  The applications, DPP, Picture Style Editor and EOS  Lens Registration Tool all behave the same way, so I have three partially installed products that don't work.

DPP 4 is the 64 bit version and whilst it runs, I can't get it to load anything.  I can select a folder full of .cr2 images but to no effect.  During load, a message says Graphics Processor Unavailable.  Strange, because I have  a Nvidia 980GT which should be well up to the task.

Now I know my Camera - a 350D - is old and no driver is supported, but surely that would have no effect on loading the software installation?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Martin

I just recently bought a Dell laptop workstation, which has ‘Intel Inside”.  I have no issues.  What are you running?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements