cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital photo professional

TotoEC
Contributor

Maybe this is a dumb question but somebody point me to the correct way..

I am using Digital Photo Professional 4.1.5 under Windows O/S.  I took a bunch of pictures and saved the RAW files separately from the JPeg.  How do you navigate from one directory to another or for that matter from one directory to its sub-directory using the DPP 4.1.5?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

A tiny triangle, about halfway up on the left-hand edge of the window, opens the navigation pane. Why does it have to be so inconspicuous? Who knows? DPP V4, especially its GUI, is most definitely a work in progress.

BTW, there's an option that claims to make the program open on the same folder on which you last closed it. You probably needn't bother to try it; it has never worked for me. (It does work in DPP V3, which is somewhat less buggy and a lot more intuitive than V4. But V4 has some useful features that V3 lacks.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

Bob,

Thank you very much!  My eyes are trained to look at the windows' top and bottom sides and never suspected that the 'navigation option' lurks on its left side.  I totally missed that [blasted] triangle! 

This latest software update forces the program to open on the same folder on which you last closed it - via the "Preference" option under the Tool menu. 

Thanks again for your help!

Toto

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Connomar,

Build 1709 here too, laptop, and desktop.  No issues, and I uninstall before upgrading to newer versions each time.

We'll wait for you to elaborate further. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

As I have an incomplete install, I can't uninstall, but I wonder if anyone could send me the uninstall.xml file from their computer which might enable me to determine how to get rid of the darn thing.

The message I get is: UniversalUninstaller.exe could not load C:Program Files (X86)\Common Files\Canon_Inc_IC\UniversalInstaller\Uninstall\Digital Photo Professional 4 (x64)\uninstall.xml

Hey connormar!

Support can likely help you get rid of the incomplete install. If you have an EOS product, our team's available at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) from 8am to Midnight (ET) weekdays and from 10am to 8pm (ET) on Saturdays. For all other products, they're available weekdays from 10am to 10pm (ET). 

They're right here in the USA and support at Canon USA is 100% free.

"I wonder if anyone could send me the uninstall.xml file from their computer ..."

I doubt seriously that would help your situation.   Your most best solution is to call 1 (800) 652-2666.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Martin,

Weird install problems are often due to virus or anti-malware software that doesn't play well with the installer.  Is your PC running protection other than the standard Win 10 stuff?  If so try temporarily disabling it.

You may have to manually delete files, probably Canon support can help you through that process but definitely create a system restore point before you start deleting files and/or editing the registry so you can recover if something bad happens.

I recently upgraded my desktop (HP Z820 running Win 10) to 4.7.2 after I upgraded to a newer camera and the install went quickly with no issues. Mine has the Fall "creators" update installed so Windows is current on it like your machine although this is the 64 bit pro instead of home edition so that MIGHT make a difference but I doubt it.

My only concern/complaint with DPP 4.7.2 is the noise reduction processing seems a bit slow. My desktop is running dual 8 core processors with 128 GB of memory.  DPP is currently running on its own 2 TB drive.  I am considering upgrading my GTX-570 graphics card to something faster to see if that takes care of the lag since NR can take up to 10 seconds to finish; any other adjustments are instanteous as they are applied and I note that NR is also much slower after digital lens correction is also applied.  Interestingly during the time NR is doing its thing CPU core utilization spikes for maybe 1/4 second to nearly 50% before dropping into the 15-20% range while processing finishes and memory and drive controller utilization stay in the under 10% range the entire time so there are plenty of resources available to DPP.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

If you do decide to change the graphics card be sure it is an Nvidia product.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John. 

I am planning on switching to a Nvidia GTX 1080 when the run on graphics cards due to the crypto currency "mining" craze falls off. Right now the price on the medium to high end graphics cards is nuts due to this latest get rich scheme to infect society.  Nvidia has an "alert me" button on their webiste and I signed up for notifications and will keep an eye on the internet sites to see when supply starts catching up with demand.

That card is probably a little overkill but buying at the upper performance end usually means it will have a longer usable life as new and more resource hungry programs appear.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@Waddizzle wrote:

I just recently bought a Dell laptop workstation, which has ‘Intel Inside”.  I have no issues.  What are you running?

I think "Intel Inside" just means it has an Intel CPU. I don't think it says anything about its graphics capability.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I just recently bought a Dell laptop workstation, which has ‘Intel Inside”."

So did I, whatever that means.  I am not that much of a computer guru but DPP4 seems to run fine for me.  Yes, it is infrequent use but I do try it from time to time.  Mostly when Canon upgrades something.  I keep hoping !!!!!!!!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I just recently bought a Dell laptop workstation, which has ‘Intel Inside”.  I have no issues.  What are you running?

I think "Intel Inside" just means it has an Intel CPU. I don't think it says anything about its graphics capability.

Actually, it does.

While I wasn’t trying to directly suggest anything about the graphics capability, “Intel Inside” actually suggests the inclusion of the standard Intel graphics chipset.  Any additional graphics board would be above and beyond the standard chipset.

Canon’s DPP software seems to be written against genuine Intel hardware, and NVidia graphics cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements