cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

before and after

feivel
Contributor
this is very important to me and i can't figure out how to do it. in the view with two images when editing, the left one is the original state.
lets say i did a wb and an exposure adjustment. now i want to sharpen. i need to see a before and after of just the sharpening effect. with the before and after images having the same wb and exposure.
or can i click somewhere to toggle before and after.
i know i can press the undo arrow but then i have to enter all the sharpening settings again.
im betting there is a way to do this.
thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you select the "Save" option you save all the edits you have made to your RAw file inside the file, so that the next time you open the file you are where you left it.

If you select "Save As' then you get to save the RAW file with a new name - you could append WB to the file name and save just the WB adjustment.

You can use the Pin/Compare window (the one with 1/2 in it at bottom of display)

Load in the RAW you saved with an edit as well as the original RAW (you will have to undo the edits to the original RAW).

Then you can edit the original with a new tool. Repeat. as often as you need.

2017-08-23 (4).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@feivel wrote:
this is very important to me and i can't figure out how to do it. in the view with two images when editing, the left one is the original state.
lets say i did a wb and an exposure adjustment. now i want to sharpen. i need to see a before and after of just the sharpening effect. with the before and after images having the same wb and exposure.
or can i click somewhere to toggle before and after.
i know i can press the undo arrow but then i have to enter all the sharpening settings again.
im betting there is a way to do this.
thanks

You don't say what editor you're using. In DPP 4 you can reset the "before" by doing a file save, because what it shows you in the preview is the last saved state vs the current state.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

feivel
Contributor
im not sure what you mean by which editor. you mean like which tab?
i see, thats very helpful. thank you. a bit cumbersome to do that for every edit but i can live with it.

feivel
Contributor
no good. i just tried it.
when i press the save button on top it brings up a dialog box with options to save as jpeg or tiff. not raw.

You still haven't told us which software program you are using.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

im so sorry. 

for some reason i thought this was a dpp forum.

thats why i didnt understand the original question.

im using DPP 4.6

If you select the "Save" option you save all the edits you have made to your RAw file inside the file, so that the next time you open the file you are where you left it.

If you select "Save As' then you get to save the RAW file with a new name - you could append WB to the file name and save just the WB adjustment.

You can use the Pin/Compare window (the one with 1/2 in it at bottom of display)

Load in the RAW you saved with an edit as well as the original RAW (you will have to undo the edits to the original RAW).

Then you can edit the original with a new tool. Repeat. as often as you need.

2017-08-23 (4).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@feivel wrote:
no good. i just tried it.
when i press the save button on top it brings up a dialog box with options to save as jpeg or tiff. not raw.

You're looking at the wrong "save" button. It's the "Save" option in the "File" menu. Yes, it's confusing; and yes, it should be changed; but you'll have to beat up on Canon about that. I've tried several times to no avail.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

feivel
Contributor
i see. thank you. a little too cumbersome for me. im used to toggling whatever change im contemplating off and on with one click, in photoshop

but i can get used to just evaluating the change on its own merits, not as compared to a before. thanks for taking the time to explain

feivel
Contributor
yah. i figured that out at some point. and they gave that limited save dialog its own dedicated button and in such a prominent location
Announcements