cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Eos Utility support High Sierra

jakobox
Contributor

Any idea when Eos Utility will support High Sierra? It is not listed as supported on the Canon website, and I can confirm that it does not work with my 5d Mark IV. High Sierra is already a few months old so I'm hoping it's soon? I emailed Canon directly about this and have yet to hear back. Perhaps someone on here has more insight?

23 REPLIES 23

I have High Sierra 10.13.2, and a Canon 600d camera. It would seem that currently Utility only works with the newer, more expensive model cameras. Is this a ploy to make us spend money on a new camera? Apple does not allow me to go back to any previous release of its software. Although on some canon websites I have visited (not uk) it says the new release of Uility is available, it then lists the cameras for which it is available, and the older, cheaper ones are ot on the list.

I bought a CAnon 5D mk IV two weeks ago, and can not connect to my NMac High Sierra, im awaiting sa phone call from Apple to sort this out today.

I set a new user on my mac, (TEST) i loaded the canon dosc, and my camera was accepoted immediately went back into my account reloaded High Sierra, tried to reload the disc, clicked on the 'setup' button and NOTHING!

If the software workson the SAME mac undedr a different user why NOT under the main users account? Something is Stopping the software downloading BUT WHAT????? 

I wish the guys at apple would take theuir heads out of their collected arses and stop mucking about, I have beena Mac user for twenty years, when this Mac is dead, it will NOT be replaced by another mac product

Is it perfectly normal to buy an expensive camera from a world brand and find it won't connect to mac OS?

@Seb5Dmarkivwrote:

Is it perfectly normal to buy an expensive camera from a world brand and find it won't connect to mac OS?

Every Mac OS seems to be almost totally incompatible with its predecessors, and in ways not obvious until it hits the street. How would you handle that if you were Canon?

Quite frankly, I don't see why any professional photographer would dare to rely exclusively on the Mac. I would consider a Windows computer to be simply a cost of doing business, like a 70-200mm f/2.8L lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That's ridiculous. I am a working pro who makes a living with a camera. I use both Windows (day job doing product photography) and Mac (freelance business) and I find the Mac to be more elegant and more reliable day in and day out.

FWIW I'm also a programmer and IT guy who has worked for both Microsoft and Apple. I have a lot of professional experience with both platforms, as well as various flavors of Linux, going back some 20+ years.

My advice to someone starting out is get a Mac- better software, typically better hardware (Apple doesn't sell low-end junk) and much better vertical integration if you also use iOS and Apple services.

Just as a matter of interest, how are you getting photographs on to the Mac?

I am using Photo on iCloud, so it takes an eternity. I also cannot delete photos for some reason.

Some say, use a card reader. That's what we were doing 15 years ago.

Is there a sensible way of getting pictures on to a Mac, without the nonsense of removing the card? (I was always told this eas a Bad Thing, as the card could get damaged.)

@Seb5Dmarkivwrote:

Just as a matter of interest, how are you getting photographs on to the Mac?

I am using Photo on iCloud, so it takes an eternity. I also cannot delete photos for some reason.

Some say, use a card reader. That's what we were doing 15 years ago.

Is there a sensible way of getting pictures on to a Mac, without the nonsense of removing the card? (I was always told this eas a Bad Thing, as the card could get damaged.)

The reasons many of use the card is speed.  For example, last weekend I was out at the velodrome.  I probably shot nearly 1000 photos of the races.  These are RAW files.   My camera’s RAW files are in the 35-40MB size per image.  That means this can conceivably be about 4GB of data.

If you transfer this via USB 2.0 (depending on camera & computer), that will take a while.  If you transfer this via WiFi it could also take a while.

The fastest transfer would be via direct reading of the memory card.

It really is your option though.... if you’re not shooting a lot of images... you can use WiFi or USB cable to transfer the images and you probably wont notice much of a difference in transfer times.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@Lumigraphicswrote:

That's ridiculous. I am a working pro who makes a living with a camera. I use both Windows (day job doing product photography) and Mac (freelance business) and I find the Mac to be more elegant and more reliable day in and day out.

FWIW I'm also a programmer and IT guy who has worked for both Microsoft and Apple. I have a lot of professional experience with both platforms, as well as various flavors of Linux, going back some 20+ years.

My advice to someone starting out is get a Mac- better software, typically better hardware (Apple doesn't sell low-end junk) and much better vertical integration if you also use iOS and Apple services.

I won't take issue with a word you said or the advice you gave. But I can't help noticing that you're a working pro photographer who doesn't rely exclusively on the Mac. IOW, your actions are consistent with my point.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Once again, nonsense. I don't have a choice about Windows, I don't dictate the environment. If I had my way it would be a Mac environment but I don't write the checks there. But feel free to think whatever silliness you want. Windows is a steaming pile of quality and I'd love to not have to use it.

As for getting photos onto the computer, tethered fr product work, otherwise card reader. I change cards frequently and use multiple cameras and no, changing cards doesn't hurt anything.

I've got a card reader - I want the extras you get with EOS Utility: the ability to name each level of the files, not just have a file with the date as name and the individual photos as just numbers. By the way, what does "tethered' mean?

Announcements