cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Eos Utility support High Sierra

jakobox
Contributor

Any idea when Eos Utility will support High Sierra? It is not listed as supported on the Canon website, and I can confirm that it does not work with my 5d Mark IV. High Sierra is already a few months old so I'm hoping it's soon? I emailed Canon directly about this and have yet to hear back. Perhaps someone on here has more insight?

23 REPLIES 23

@Marsupialmousewrote:

I've got a card reader - I want the extras you get with EOS Utility: the ability to name each level of the files, not just have a file with the date as name and the individual photos as just numbers. By the way, what does "tethered' mean?

Tethered shooting traditionally means that you shoot with the camera connected to a computer... and each shot is immediately transferred to the computer as you shoot.

It common with many types of studio photography.  I've done food photography shoots (at the restaurant) and I shoot this way. This way as I shoot the product (food, in this case), both me and the chef immediatley get a nice big version of the image on the computer screen and this makes it much easier to know what you want to tweak with respect to positioning, composition, lighting, where the reflections are located, if we need to primp up the food, etc.

Usually the USB cable supplied with the camera isn't very long.  You can buy a longer tethering cable from a photography store or online.  I bought mine via Amazon (a 15' cord) for about $7.  

As a safety precaution, I put a bit of slack in the cord (where it comes out of the camera I put an extra loop in the cord) and use gaffer tape to tape the tether cable to the tripod... and I run it down one leg and tape it at the bottom.  This has two advantages... #1 it isn't as much of a trip hazard because I make the cable lay flat on the floor (instead of hanging in the air from the camera to the laptop where someone will trip it on if they try to step over it) and #2 ... if someone DOES manage to snag the cable, the gaffer tape will stop it, hopefully prevent the tripod from crashing over ... but more importantly... it wont yank on the USB cord where it attaches to the camera body and risk damaging the port.

This assumes a cable... but it turns out you can sometimes do the same thing via WiFi ... if the camera and computer software supports it.  If the camera doesn't support it natively, there are products that add WiFi... such as the CamRanger or competing similar technologies.  Those products has a small WiFi box that plugs into your camera's USB port so the camera thinks it's communicating via USB... but really it's going over WiFi.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@Seb5Dmarkivwrote:

Is it perfectly normal to buy an expensive camera from a world brand and find it won't connect to mac OS?

Every Mac OS seems to be almost totally incompatible with its predecessors, and in ways not obvious until it hits the street. How would you handle that if you were Canon?

Quite frankly, I don't see why any professional photographer would dare to rely exclusively on the Mac. I would consider a Windows computer to be simply a cost of doing business, like a 70-200mm f/2.8L lens.

Oh wow... no.  Just .... no.  

As a 30+ year veteran of the computer industry... Microsoft is easily the worst there is.  I can say that without hesitation.  I’ve worked on a LOT of operating systems over the decades... mainframes, mini-computers, workstations.  I feel like at some point in my career I’ve seemingly used one or more of everything (that’s not really true, but it sure seems like it).

The Mac isn’t trouble-free... but it probably is roughly a 1000:1 ratio in terms of Windows problems compared to macOS problems.  That sounds like an exaggeration... it really isn’t.  I’m “that guy” that all the friends and relatives call when their computers have problems.

I currently have a new PC running Windows 10... it’s about 18 months old.  It keeps giving me notices that my version of Windows 10 needs to be upgraded, but all attempts to upgrade fail.  All expert advice on the Internet aren’t able to fix (including advice from Microsoft).  So far their last bit of advice is what I refer to as the “nuclear option” (blow away everything on the machine and re-format / re-install from scratch ... losing all my data, applications, etc.).   The stunner is that if I agree to do this (It’d be extremely painful but I do have everything backed up)... my PC (a Lenovo ThinkPad) embeds the Windows licenense key in the BIOS chip (why PC’s still use BIOS is a bit of a mystery, but let’s pick on Microsoft for just one problem at at a time).  When I tried the Microsoft suggested “nuclear option” it demanded to know my license key.  I contacted Lenovo... there is no “license key” because of that BIOS chip.  Turns out Lenovo worked with Microsoft to provide a special version of Windows that knows how to read the license key from the hardware so that their end-users don’t have to worry their pretty-little-heads about such trivialities.  Alas... the version of Windows downloaded from Microsoft doesn’t know about this embedded hardware key.  That means I can’t even use the “nuclear option” to fix my PC unless I re-purchase the operating system that I’m already licensed to own.  <sigh>

No, we mac users really DO NOT put up with anything even remotely close to the problems that you PC owners have to deal with.

If you’re a creative person... photography, music, video, etc.... get a mac.  You’ll be much happier with a mac.

BTW... Apple will give you free lessons at any Apple Store in the country.  Did I mention they’re FREE lessons?  Even Canon doesn’t do that.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@Aleelawrote:

I bought a CAnon 5D mk IV two weeks ago, and can not connect to my NMac High Sierra, im awaiting sa phone call from Apple to sort this out today.

I set a new user on my mac, (TEST) i loaded the canon dosc, and my camera was accepoted immediately went back into my account reloaded High Sierra, tried to reload the disc, clicked on the 'setup' button and NOTHING!

If the software workson the SAME mac undedr a different user why NOT under the main users account? Something is Stopping the software downloading BUT WHAT????? 

I wish the guys at apple would take theuir heads out of their collected arses and stop mucking about, I have beena Mac user for twenty years, when this Mac is dead, it will NOT be replaced by another mac product

This typically means there’s a “.plist” file on the mac (plist = preferences list file) that has something corrupt in it.  

These things hide in your user’s home directory under the “Library” folder.  In finder, you use the “Go” pull-down menu (from the top edge of the screen when Finder is active) but you have to hold the “Option” keydown or Library will be hidden.  It’s hidden because generally users should not mess around with the files under that folder.

There are a few folders within Library where the files may be hiding.  I think there’s a Preferences sub-folder and there’s an Application Support folder.  I’m traveling and unable to check this until the weekend, but I can have a peek and find out which files it is using.  The mac is a Unix operating system, so it’s pretty easy to see what files are in use (you can use the Unix “lsof”utility (lsof=list of open files) and it’ll provide a report of every file being touched by any application process on the machine.  But this is a Unix command-line utility (run via Terminal) so if you’re not a Unix person, it may be a bit confusing.  Anyway, I’ll try to remember to check it this weekend and tell you which file to clear out to fix the problem.

Anyway... testing any problem app from a fresh user account means that account wont have any preferences at all for the app (since it’s never run the app).  When it works fine from a different account, it means the preference file on the account that DOES have trouble just has a corrupt preference file (they all have the extension “.plist”.

In Windows this is done with the “registry” (that’s Microsoft’s built-in malware attack on your PC ... the worst idea they ever had, and they’ve had some doosies).  When the registry goes corrup on Windows you can’t just delete a file to fix it.  The Mac is much cleaner design and provides better isolation.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbellwrote:

@Aleelawrote:

I bought a CAnon 5D mk IV two weeks ago, and can not connect to my NMac High Sierra, im awaiting sa phone call from Apple to sort this out today.

I set a new user on my mac, (TEST) i loaded the canon dosc, and my camera was accepoted immediately went back into my account reloaded High Sierra, tried to reload the disc, clicked on the 'setup' button and NOTHING!

If the software workson the SAME mac undedr a different user why NOT under the main users account? Something is Stopping the software downloading BUT WHAT????? 

I wish the guys at apple would take theuir heads out of their collected arses and stop mucking about, I have beena Mac user for twenty years, when this Mac is dead, it will NOT be replaced by another mac product

This typically means there’s a “.plist” file on the mac (plist = preferences list file) that has something corrupt in it.  

These things hide in your user’s home directory under the “Library” folder.  In finder, you use the “Go” pull-down menu (from the top edge of the screen when Finder is active) but you have to hold the “Option” keydown or Library will be hidden.  It’s hidden because generally users should not mess around with the files under that folder.

There are a few folders within Library where the files may be hiding.  I think there’s a Preferences sub-folder and there’s an Application Support folder.  I’m traveling and unable to check this until the weekend, but I can have a peek and find out which files it is using.  The mac is a Unix operating system, so it’s pretty easy to see what files are in use (you can use the Unix “lsof”utility (lsof=list of open files) and it’ll provide a report of every file being touched by any application process on the machine.  But this is a Unix command-line utility (run via Terminal) so if you’re not a Unix person, it may be a bit confusing.  Anyway, I’ll try to remember to check it this weekend and tell you which file to clear out to fix the problem.

Anyway... testing any problem app from a fresh user account means that account wont have any preferences at all for the app (since it’s never run the app).  When it works fine from a different account, it means the preference file on the account that DOES have trouble just has a corrupt preference file (they all have the extension “.plist”.

In Windows this is done with the “registry” (that’s Microsoft’s built-in malware attack on your PC ... the worst idea they ever had, and they’ve had some doosies).  When the registry goes corrup on Windows you can’t just delete a file to fix it.  The Mac is much cleaner design and provides better isolation.

I just got home and did some checking...

Go into Finder and from the main menu and the top of the page, click "Go" -> "Library" (if "Library" doesn't appear, then hold the Option key).

In the Library folder navigate to the "Preferences" folder.

Within Preferences, look for a file named:

com.canon.EOS-Utility-3.plist (this assumes you are using EOS Utility v3.x)

If you are using EOS Utility v2.x then it's:  com.canon.EOS Utility 2.plist (they don't put hyphens in that name whereas they did for EOS Utility 3.)

Drag that file out of the Preferences folder (e.g. drag it to the Desktop).  You will likely just want to delete the file (dump it in the trash) but for now just drag it to the desktop (that way you can always put it back).

NOW run EOS Utility 3 and see if it works fine.

If it does work, you'll notice it will have auto-created a new copy of the com.canon.EOS-Utility-3.plist file (with all the settings back to defaults) and can just delete the extra copy on your desktop that had corrupt settings.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements