cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DLO with Lightroom & Photoshop

Bazsl
Rising Star

Is there any Canon publication or article or video that describes the recommended workflow for using DLO in DPP with Lightroom and/or ACR? Specifically, I cannot find any definitive information on whether the changes made to a CR2 file by DLO will be visible when I open that CR2 file with Lightroom or ACR. Can anyone point me to any authoritative information about using DLO with Lightroom/ACR? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Nope, you are on your own.

I think I know a way to find out. DPP3 and DPP4 use different, mutually incompatible encodings for change data in a CR2 file. A given CR2 file can have one or the other set of change data, or both. So look to see whether Lightroom gives you a choice of which set to apply when it opens the file. If it has that option, it stands to reason that it will apply the selected change set. If it doesn't have the option, then it's pretty much a certainty that neither set of changes will be applied.

My guess is that LR doesn't have the option. I think you will have to choose between applying the changes in DPP and passing a TIFF or JPEG file to LR, or opening the file in LR (discarding the changes) and doing all your editing there.

Full disclosure: I've never used LR, so anything I say about it is a guess. But I've used both versions of DPP quite a lot and will stand by my knowledge of how they work.

P.S.: I guess the same test could be applied to ACR. I've never used that either.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob. Your suggestion makes sense and Lightroom does not ask which changes to apply.

@Bazsl wrote:
Thanks Bob. Your suggestion makes sense and Lightroom does not ask which changes to apply.

You would use the specialized filters to make lighting adjustments in LR

IMG_6767.jpg

The original of that shot had the waterfall on the steps in near darkness.  I used radial filters to brighten it up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Bazsl wrote:

Canon and DPP store many of the settings as flags in the CR2 file. The changes that are required by those flags (i.e. picture styles, sharpening, etc) are applied by the camera when producing the JPG or DPP when opening it or exporting it.

Lightroom ignores the vast majority of those flags and applies its own default processing.

Setting the DLO flag to on in the CR2 file will not give you DLO processing in Lightroom, since DLO is proprietary to Canon and does not exist in Lightroom. 

Lightroom has its own lens correction, but, it isn't as comprehensive as DLO. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Bazsl wrote:

Canon and DPP store many of the settings as flags in the CR2 file. The changes that are required by those flags (i.e. picture styles, sharpening, etc) are applied by the camera when producing the JPG or DPP when opening it or exporting it.

Lightroom ignores the vast majority of those flags and applies its own default processing.

Setting the DLO flag to on in the CR2 file will not give you DLO processing in Lightroom, since DLO is proprietary to Canon and does not exist in Lightroom. 

Lightroom has its own lens correction, but, it isn't as comprehensive as DLO. 

I think I was confusing the Peripheral Illumination with the Digital Lens Optimizer. 

I don't like the DLO.  It doesn't seem intended for Canon lenses..  With Canon lenses, you can download lens correction data.  With 3rd party lenses, there is no lens data to download, so you are forced to use the "one size fits all" DLO slider.  This tool is the primary reason I bought Lightroom, to get lens correction with 3rd party lenses.

I understand. It is unfortunate that Canon and Adobe cannot find a way to make DLO work seamlessly with ACR so more people can take advantage of it. The way things are now Canon is losing most of the benefit of DLO for Canon users because most of us will not spend the additional time required to Apply DLO then export all of the images as TIFFs then import both the TIFFs and raw files into Lightroom. If Canon and Adobe could agree in the interface for a DLL that Canon could provide to Adobe which ACR could call to apply the adjustments when the raw file is read both Canon and its users would be benefit because all canon users could realize the benefits of DLO with only one additional step in their workflow and Canon's algorithm would still be their secret..

@Bazsl wrote:

I understand. It is unfortunate that Canon and Adobe cannot find a way to make DLO work seamlessly with ACR so more people can take advantage of it. The way things are now Canon is losing most of the benefit of DLO for Canon users because most of us will not spend the additional time required to Apply DLO then export all of the images as TIFFs then import both the TIFFs and raw files into Lightroom.

If Canon and Adobe could agree in the interface for a DLL that Canon could provide to Adobe which ACR could call to apply the adjustments when the raw file is read both Canon and its users would be benefit because all canon users could realize the benefits of DLO with only one additional step in their workflow and Canon's algorithm would still be their secret..

I fail to see your point. 

Canon's DLO is inferior to what Lightroom offers.  I never found reason to use DLO.  The one time I did try to use it, I didn't like the results.  I had Canon lenses, and so I had no use for the DLO. 

It's either/or.  You either apply specific lens correction on Canon lenses in their database, or you apply a generic lens correction with DLO's single slider.  You cannot use both Canon tools at the same time.  It's one, or the other.

Lightroom has its' own database of lens correction data, which includes Canon lenses and 3rd party lenses.  You can even create your own custom lens correction data file, if you so wished. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Bazsl wrote:

Is there any Canon publication or article or video that describes the recommended workflow for using DLO in DPP with Lightroom and/or ACR? Specifically, I cannot find any definitive information on whether the changes made to a CR2 file by DLO will be visible when I open that CR2 file with Lightroom or ACR. Can anyone point me to any authoritative information about using DLO with Lightroom/ACR? Thanks.

To my knowledge the only way to use DLO with other programs is to use DLO in DPP and then export a 16 bit TIFF file, for further processing in other programs. 

Announcements