cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EOS Utility live shoot / live view has really bad FPS. Help?

NCKGRV
Apprentice

Hey everyone,

I have a canon EOS 650D and I am running the latest EOS Utility, Firmware is up to date and also using genuin canon USB cable (not that it matters right?).

Anyway I want to use teh live shoot feauture on my PC but the framerate is really low like stop motion.

My PC has decent specs:

- I7 6700

- GTX1080 graphics card

- MSI Z170A MB

I have tried running it on my Laptop as well after Canon uspport asked me to check whether it is PC specific problem, same story.

My intention is to use my camera as a webcam to stream etc.

If you have any idea let me know please.

Many thanks,

NCKGRV

UPDATE:

I have now tried using differnet software and the problem remains. That lets me believe that there is a problem with the connection between camera and PC? The transfer rate maybe? 

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@NCKGRV wrote:

Hey everyone,

I have a canon EOS 650D and I am running the latest EOS Utility, Firmware is up to date and also using genuin canon USB cable (not that it matters right?).

Anyway I want to use the live shoot feauture on my PC but the framerate is really low like stop motion.

My PC has decent specs:

- I7 6700

- GTX1080 graphics card

- MSI Z170A MB

I have tried running it on my Laptop as well after Canon uspport asked me to check whether it is PC specific problem, same story.

Many thanks,

NCKGRV

UPDATE:

I have now tried using differnet software and the problem remains. That lets me believe that there is a problem with the connection between camera and PC? The transfer rate maybe? 

Thanks for any help.

I see two things that are inadvisable. 

1. Using remote shooting for continuous shooting mode.  I have never tried this, simply because of the volume of data that would need to be transmitted via USB.  It will probably work better if the photos are only stored on the memory card, and NOT transferred to the PC.  Shooting a movie and grabbing frames works, too.

2.  Your camera is designed to shoot still photos..  It just happens to have hardware that is capable of recording short video clips.  The image sensor can overheat in less than an hour, probably half an hour.  The video signal that comes out of the HDMI port will be the same display that you see on the camera LCD, complete with text and icons.  It is not a video camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since camera is only USB2 it may be a data speed issue. Try using a lower video quality. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hey John,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried all vide settings from 1920x1080 30fps to 640x480. 

Same result through out.

Thanks,

NCKGRV

You could give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON and get their input. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

On the phone with them right now.

As soon as i have a solution I will let you know.

NCKGRV

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@NCKGRV wrote:

Hey everyone,

Anyway I want to use the live shoot feauture on my PC but the framerate is really low like stop motion.

My PC has decent specs:

- I7 6700

- GTX1080 graphics card

- MSI Z170A MB

Many thanks,

NCKGRV

UPDATE:

Thanks for any help.

I see two things that are inadvisable. 

1. Using remote shooting for continuous shooting mode.  I have never tried this, simply because of the volume of data that would need to be transmitted via USB.  It will probably work better if the photos are only stored on the memory card, and NOT transferred to the PC.  Shooting a movie and grabbing frames works, too.

2.  Your camera is designed to shoot still photos..  It just happens to have hardware that is capable of recording short video clips.  The image sensor can overheat in less than an hour, probably half an hour.  The video signal that comes out of the HDMI port will be the same display that you see on the camera LCD, complete with text and icons.  It is not a video camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

louij2
Apprentice

Hi I am getting the same issue of slow FPS just like everyone else here with the Canon 650d, was anyone able to fix it? My friend said to use the HDMI port and get a HDMI capture card. Also I have a very good PC Ryzen 5 1600 and 1080 ti Strix so shouldnt be any issues there.

Hello Louij2,

We're sorry to hear that you are having problems.  Are you, like the OP, also attempting to use the camera as a web cam?  The camera isn't technically designed to operate like a web cam.  What are the settings that you are using when having this issue?  If you can let the community know, we may be able to provide additional suggestions. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

NCKGRV
Apprentice
Thank you for this! I agree and will continue using the 650d for photography purposes only!

burdel
Apprentice

Had the same problem with the live view. 

Have you changed your camera to video? This simple step worked for me. 

Had the picture mode on and not the video mode before.

Announcements