cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacOSX - EOS Utility v2.14.10 - Each Time Run - Re-Installs Itself in Bootup List (Login Items)

mark-in-seattle
Contributor

First, I love my Canon 60D, however the EOS Utility v2 running under MacOSX 10.9.3 has a frustrating quirk not present in EOS Utility v1.x.

Each time I manually run the EOS Utility the darn thing insists on installing itself on the Mac's list of user software to run when the system boots up.  On a Mac this is called a "Login Item".  You can, and I have, deleted the EOS Utility "Login Item" entry in System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Login Items (tab) List of Login items.  When I reboot it is not running in the background, which is what I want ... for lots of reasons having to do with overall OSX system stability.

However, when I connect my camera and manually run EOS Utility v2 everything works fined EXCEPT once again it insists that the utility should be run in the background anytime I bootup my Mac and re-enables itself on the Login Items list.  This is not the utilities perogative.  All other apps I've used understand this.  They might install themselves on the Login Items list when you first install the app, but if you delete the entry on that list the app will respect your choice and will not force itself back on the list just to run the app.

QUESTION -  How does the user disable this re-install on OSX's Login Item list behavior.  If this can't be disabled I will downgrade to EOS v1.x or use a 3rd party app until enough users complain to Canon.   I could understand if Canon wants to default to running in the background when the user first installs the software, but if the user specifically removes the entry on the Login Items list, the app should respect this user decision.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Tim
Authority

Hello Mark in Seattle,

This issue is not one we have come across before, so this would be considered unusual.  The software should not put itself into the startup items list, as it's not something which would need to be there.  There must be something going on within the system which is allowing this to happen which is outside of our software.  I recommend performing a complete uninstall of all the software and then installing from scratch.  This will most likely resolve this issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim wrote:

Hello Mark in Seattle,

This issue is not one we have come across before, so this would be considered unusual.  The software should not put itself into the startup items list, as it's not something which would need to be there.  There must be something going on within the system which is allowing this to happen which is outside of our software.  I recommend performing a complete uninstall of all the software and then installing from scratch.  This will most likely resolve this issue.

I don't know why it would be considered unusual, since EOS Utility works pretty much the same way under Windows. I believe that Version 3 starts automatically by default and that Version 2 does not. In each version there's a check mark (in the program itself) that lets you choose whether it does or doesn't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the additional datapoint. At least in EOS-3 on a PC the behavior is more benevolent with an option to disable auto-bootup. On a Mac this insistence by EOS to always re-establish it's bootup background status has become more than a little annoying.

Have tried uninstalling Canon EOS 2 utility, re-installing from scratch after a power down and cold reboot of the Mac (OSX v10.9.3), however I experience the same problem from EOS as before.  No other utility on my Mac or any I have heard about has displayed EOS's rude behavior; re-asserting itself as a background task at bootup when the user has specifically tried to disable this action.

Another person who posted a comment on this thread mentioned that on a PC, EOS-3 demonstrated a somewhat related characteristic; it installed itself to run in the background everytime the PC was booted, however there was an EOS preferences field that disabled this function.  So it seems odd to me that Canon thinks auto-enabling itself as a bootup background task on the computer is unusual behavior for EOS.  You just forgot to include a field in MacOSX EOS preferences to disable it.  Nothing is perfect, but please update the utility now that it has come to Canon's attention.

I have looked thru the Mac version of EOS-2 and have not found any similar way in EOS preferences to disable EOS from always enabling itself to run in the background when it is manually run.  This is rather a bother each time EOS is used -  to always have to use MacOSX System preferences to tell EOS again... and again.... and again... and again.... and AGAIN ... to leave my OS system bootup settings alone.

If there is no way to disable this unfortunate characteristic I will start posting notices on several Mac user and photography websites seeking other user's advice to disable EOS auto-startup or warn them about this problem so they can find other camera file transfer utilities as I will be doing.  Very unfortunate.

mark-in-seattle
Contributor

EOS version 3 has the same awful auto login self listing "feature" after every use of the utility as version 2.  What a waste of a users time, to have to delete EOS from the auto login list whenever you use the utility.   Lame programmers at Canon do not respect the users time or preferences.  Maybe the marketing droids are insisting EOS login afer every reboot on a Mac to fly the flag in the users face.  I'm looking for alternatives to EOS entirely at this point.

Announcements