cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any Canon SDK for android?

vinoth
Apprentice

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. So,Please ignore me if i anything asked wrong here.

But, I think this is the best place to ask this question. I have seen that canon has developed an app for iOS and Android to control the Canon EOS Camera via EOS Remote app. From this i can confirm that canon can be integrated with the android. So my question is, Is canon provide an SDK to develop apps to control their cameras. Because i am in need to develop the app which control canon camera.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

The Canon app only works with cameras that have WiFi, which at the moment is only the 6D.  Canon isn't exactly known for their open source sharing, so I doubt there's an SDK.

There are several apps in the Android marketplace that can control dSLR cameras, the most notable being DSLR Controller by Chainfire.  There are lesser developed apps that you may be able to get your hands on to reverse engineers.  But that is way outside the scope of this forum.  I'd suggest going to any of the many android development websites out there, or device based development sites like XDA.

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast

@vinoth wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. So,Please ignore me if i anything asked wrong here.

But, I think this is the best place to ask this question. I have seen that canon has developed an app for iOS and Android to control the Canon EOS Camera via EOS Remote app. From this i can confirm that canon can be integrated with the android. So my question is, Is canon provide an SDK to develop apps to control their cameras. Because i am in need to develop the app which control canon camera.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

As mentioned above by Skirball the most interesting app for Android is DSLR Controller (still in beta) which can be used via a Host USB cable. This app uses USB protocol to connect to the camera.

The Canon EOS SDK gives you some (not all) information about controlling DSLRs via USB. You may request it (it has to be approved before you get it).

BTW, Canon's USB protocol is not easy and has lot of limitations. It will require lot of tests from your part indeed to make it work properly on a custom-made device or app.

Cheers.

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

There's 3rd party who works on Wifi tools for Canon cameras: [link removed per forum guidelines]

On the booth they said that they are considering open SDK to 3rd party. Maybe you can go and check.

Announcements