cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Transfer Utility for Powershot SX710HS on Windows 7

Liz1
Apprentice

Could anyone tell me what the issue is with the Image Transfer utility for Powershot SX710 HS on Windows 7.  I have installed it and uninstalled it about 4 or 5 times and cleared the recycle bin everytime and it still does not work.  The program does not even open.  Any help would be great. By the way I live in the UK.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Liz1 wrote:

I have tried opening it manually and i get the loading icon for a split second then nothing and I also have Windows Media Player downloaded onto my system but it still does not work. Any ideas.

It could be launching a dialog box that you cannot see because it is offset from the visible desktop.  I would try to remove and delete all of the Canon software.  I would go to their web site, and download the latest version of the software.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

After deleting any existing installations, try installing the latest versions.  If this doesn't work, then you need to contact Canon Support for the UK.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried launching it manually?  On some computers, you have to manually start it the first time, but it starts automatically after that.

I have also seen Windows launch a dialog box, asking the user to select a default behavior when this new device is connected.  Everything stops until the user selects a default behavior.  The problem with this scenario is that the dialog box doesn't always get launched on top, where you can see it.

You might also might need to install Windows Media Player, which contains some device drivers that are needed.  If you have an "(N)" version of Windows, which is what is usually sold throughout most of Europe, then you're probably lacking WMP.  I suspect that this is most likely your scenario.  You can download WMP for free from Microsoft.

On some computers, a device driver is downloaded and installed the first time a camera is connected and turned on, a process which can take several minutes while the PC is seemingly sitting there completely lifeless.  Once the device driver is installed, then one of the first two situations I described might occur.  You need to start the application manually, or you cannot see the dialog box from Windows asking you what it should do.

I have tried opening it manually and i get the loading icon for a split second then nothing and I also have Windows Media Player downloaded onto my system but it still does not work. Any ideas.

Liz1 wrote:

It could be launching a dialog box that you cannot see because it is offset from the visible desktop.  I would try to remove and delete all of the Canon software.  I would go to their web site, and download the latest version of the software.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

After deleting any existing installations, try installing the latest versions.  If this doesn't work, then you need to contact Canon Support for the UK.

Did you install image transfer utility 1.2.4 for windows and open the downloaded  file folder and install it?

What happened next  after clicking those OK and Next ? If your software is working on now what did you do? I used to download pictures  direct from card reading but i like to download by using usb cable to computer. I do not use Wifi.

Any idea why this transfer utility is not working?

Liz1
Apprentice
I did install the image transfer utility 1.2.4 for windows and opened the downloaded file and installed it and once it had installed nothing happened. I wish I did know why it is not working as I have uninstalled and reinstalled it about four times now and it is still not working.

My assumption is that because it has a wifi capacity, the usb cable is disabled function.

Can you download photos from direct card reader device?

@newsense52 wrote:

My assumption is that because it has a wifi capacity, the usb cable is disabled function.

Can you download photos from direct card reader device?

True.  If the camera is in Wi-Fi mode, the USB will not work because it would be disabled.

Announcements