cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep receiving message "Zb has stopped working"

JuneM
Apprentice

I never had this problem before.  I have uninstalled the Canon program from the CD and reinstalled various times.  Can anyone help me?

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Let's try!

You get a message saying "Zb module has encountered a problem and will close"   Canon will  suggeste uninstalling it, then downloading it again with the firewall and anti virus closed.  When that doesn't work, it is just Canon's stock answer, it may be a compatibility issue.  I am on WIndows so if you are Mac, it isn't the same but Mac's have more OS problems with software than WIndows so I suspect the general idea is germaine.

If It is the Cannon Zoom Browser EX is not compatible with your OS......

Install Cannon Zoom Browser EX in Windows XP compatibility mode and check how it works.

To install in compatibility mode:

a.       Right click on the setup file of the Cannon Zoom Browser EX, click Properties, click Compatibility tab, under compatibility mode, check mark “Run this program in compatibility mode for and select “Windows XP(Service Pack 1 or Service pack 2 or Service Pack 3) from the drop down list. Click Apply and then click ok.

b.      Under “Privilege level”, click “Run this program as an administrator”, click apply and then click ok.

c.       Install the Cannon Zoom Browser EX and restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

d.      Launch the browser and check for its functionality.

Hope this works for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am on WIndows so if you are Mac, it isn't the same but Mac's have more OS problems with software than WIndows so I suspect the general idea is germaine.

I've worked my entire professional career dealing with computers... as an operator, as a programmer, as a software & systems architect, etc.  I've worked with one of everything... the first computers I used had to be "booted" by toggling in the instructions on the front panel (computers with "front panels" haven't been built in many decades.).  My first PC ran DOS 2.1 (pre-dated the existence of Windows) and had 2 floppy drives (no hard drive.)  I've been doing this for a long time.

So on the PC vs. Mac software problem... no, Macs are considerably more stable than PCs.  

The challenge with PCs is partially tied to all the bloat necessary to keep a PC running, coupled with extremely bad developer habbits (e.g. software that only works if you either install or run as "admin".) and then partially the Windows "Registry" system.  Macs don't have bloatware -- the firewall is built into the OS and nobody bothers to install 3rd party firewalls or virus checkers etc.  There is no concept of "registry" on the Mac.  Application preferences that need to be preserved are maintained in something called ".plist" files (this is a bit like Windows ".INF" files that Windows no longer uses).  The nice thing about them is that if you really suspect a program is wedged due to bad settings, you can just delete it's associated ".plist" files and it'll behave as though you've installed that program for the first time ever.  

With Windows, this is a bit of a challenge since everything is in the Windows registry and you can't just delete that without serious consequences to everything else.  The information in the registry is heavily obfuscated -- making it extremely difficult to clean up corruption.

Apple's marketing tagline for years was "It just works" because frankly... it really does "just work". 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim,  I started on a TI-99 and a C=64 before going to a DOS machine.  Whatever that means except we are both old, I don't know.

I won't argue stability between the two but Mac's seem, no are, way more fincky with software and their OS's.

I beta test for Finale MakeMusic and some for Adobe Photoshop and we experience much more issues with Mac's OS.

Not even close.

BTW, my bud Tom sent me a link to a fantastic photograph he took.  Check this out.

EB

We'll have to disagree on the OS. But the comet sure looks great!

We haven't had many nights to even try to see it (according to historical records, the average number of clear for January in Michigan is 3.5 -- so the odds are not in my favor.) About a week ago we did happen to have ONE clear night. I really wanted to set up the scope for an image, but it was 3ºF outside. I opted for the binoculars instead. I did get to see it, but I certainly didn't linger as long as I normally do.

Make sure he knows about the triple shadow-transit on Jupiter coming up Friday night (or early Saturday morning depending on your time zone. ) Io, Europa, and Callisto all do a transit of Jupiter on that night (transits are very common) but they happen to transit so close to each other that from about 1:20am to about 1:55am Eastern time (I've rounded those values, I think the Europa's shadow (the 3rd to appear) will show up closer to 1:25am) you'll see all three shadows on the planet at black spots -- at the same time.

At about 12:48am (US Eastern time), Io (the moon... not the shadow) will pass directly in front of the shadow of Callisto ... creating a black ring on the surface (sort of like a bullseye).

Jupiter has a fairly fast rotational speed -- it takes only about 10 hours to complete a rotation. That means the cloud belts are moving pretty fast. I haven't tested this myself, but I'm told that if you try to collect more than about 10 minutes worth of data, the planet surface blurs due to it's spin and you no longer can collect sharp cloud detail.)

Hopefully he can capture that becuase triple transits are rare.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"We'll have to disagree on the OS."  I suspose so, I only know what I see happening. Otherwise, I have no prefference and soley buy PC's because they are cheaper.

I imagine Tom knows about all the upcoming heavenly events.  You talk just like him!  If you didn't put your name on the post, I couldn't tell you two apart. Smiley Happy

EB

Hi!
Create a new user account - retry ZoomBrowser. Does the issue persist or is everything working as it should be?
If all works fine, you're user profile is corrupt.
Announcements