cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download GPS log files to Lightroom or Canon MapUtility from the Canon 5D Mark iv

ai-filmandphoto
Apprentice

1) I have the GPS settings enabled - Mode 2 on the camera, but no GPS metadata downloading to Lightroom or no GPS data from trying the eos utility import as PGS log files not appearing.  How do I get the GPS data into lightroom or MapUtility?

2) The GPS log flashes on the top screen on the camera.  Is there anywhere to view the longitude or latitude on the actual Camera?

There is limited reading on this new GPS functionality for the Canon 5d Mark iv ??  Ive tried with no luck from the EOS Utility Instruction Manual  3.5M_E_00 but the PGS log files not appearing. 

3) I'm also interested in the 'compass' information, which was marketed in Canon's press release details.  There was another 7D post on this but my camera menu doesn't allow that functionality?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-detail...

any assistance very much appreciated !

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In order to download GPS files, the GPS needs to be enabled.  But, it sounds like you have done that.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What is not so clear in Canon's manual is you need to have GPS enabled while you connect the camera to the computer to download images.

I am usually downloading images at home, with no or faint GPS signal, why would I want to enable the GPS in this situation?

@Canon : you really need to change this feature and work for a better integration of the GPS module with the camera.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ai-filmandphoto wrote:

1) I have the GPS settings enabled - Mode 2 on the camera, but no GPS metadata downloading to Lightroom or no GPS data from trying the eos utility import as PGS log files not appearing.  How do I get the GPS data into lightroom or MapUtility?

2) The GPS log flashes on the top screen on the camera.  Is there anywhere to view the longitude or latitude on the actual Camera?

There is limited reading on this new GPS functionality for the Canon 5d Mark iv ??  Ive tried with no luck from the EOS Utility Instruction Manual  3.5M_E_00 but the PGS log files not appearing. 

3) I'm also interested in the 'compass' information, which was marketed in Canon's press release details.  There was another 7D post on this but my camera menu doesn't allow that functionality?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-detail...

any assistance very much appreciated !

First you need to make sure that GPS logging is enabled.

20161022_122409.jpg

Bottom menu choice

Under that menu choice there is also a Set up menu where you need to manually transfer the log files from the camera to the memory card (second menu choice).

20161022_122309.jpg

Then the files can be downloaded from the memory card using the Canon Map Utility.

GPS Map.JPG

From the Canon map utility they can be exported as a standard KMZ file for use in Google Earth or other programs.

Also in the Canon Map Utility you can load images and display directional information.
Capture.JPG
The information on this photo show it was taken facing 56 degrees.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
You do NOT need a GPS signal to download the tracks.
Announcements