cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Utility problem

alexpado
Apprentice

Hi to all,

I have a problem with the Eos Utility Software.

I have the OS Windows 8, and I installed the last version of EOS Uility 2.12 compatibility with the new OS.

When I connect my EOS 5D MKIII or the 7D the EOS Utility not recognized the camera.

The drivers are installed , all the others programs works fine with the cameras.

Someone have a suggestion ? Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was having the same issue with EOS Utility not seeing my D60.
In Device Manager, do you see any other devices other than your camera under "Portable Devices"? Under mine, I have listed 4 removable media drives "SD, CF, etc.) that corresponded to my All-in-one Internal USB2.0 connector Card Reader. Each slot is shown as a drive letter. I disabled all four drives by right clicking each one and choosing "Disable" Once that was complete I plugged the camera back in and started the Eos Utility. Camera was now fully recognized. I can still use the media slots even with each drive being disabled.
Good Luck
Rich

View solution in original post

132 REPLIES 132

Aarondwood,

Yes, this is similar to why I will never buy an HP product again. With upgrading to Windows 7 on an HP desktop I had to buy all new peripherals to replace the HP ones, because they did not offer software support.

Bob

heatherferreira
Apprentice

For quite some time, I have also been experiencing the mysterious EOS Utility USB detection failure: the version that kept happening to me was that my Windows 8 computer would recognize the camera, the EOS Utility would recognize the camera and permit downloads of photographs, but upon trying to download movie footage, I would be stopped by the 5D Mark II suddenly blocking me with an Error 02 screen.  Here's how I bypassed this problem.

1. Phoning Canon tech support, explaining the problem, and Canon puzzled and unable to solve it.

2. Trying the camera-to-computer USB cable in every single available USB port in my computer.  No improvement.

3. Buying a new camera-to-computer USB cable, and trying it.  Nothing improved.

4. Considering buying a card reader.  Saying no to that.  And then finally, the solution:

5. Bypass EOS Utility altogether and follow this group of tasks:

THE EOS UTILITY SOLUTION (AT LEAST FOR ME)

- Connect cable to camera and computer

- Switch camera to "on"

- Ignore and bypass EOS Utility, and shut it off when it launches.  Completely.

- Open "My Computer"

- Go to "Control Panel" and launch "Classic View"

- Scroll down to "Scanners and Cameras".  Click to open this folder.

- You will see the Canon EOS 5D Mark II as a labeled icon.  RIGHT CLICK THE ICON.

- You will see GET PICTURES as your first choice.  Select GET PICTURES.

The camera will then faithfully load all moving footage and photography stills wherever on your desktop computer you indicate.  I chose to put mine on Desktop.  They are now sitting there looking at me, complete files, ready for use.

No more hassles.  

Try the above and see if this does not at last solve the mystery and resolve the problem.

What I learned: The source of problem is a faulty code somewhere in Canon's EOS Utility program.  This is my opinion only, but the solution, and the fact neither the cable nor the camera seem to be at fault, and the fact your computer isn't either, to me leaves but one remaining culprit.  Cheers from Los Angeles 🙂

That's not a solution, that's a work-around.

I want the EOS Utility because (as far as I know) it's the only program that automaticly moves pictures from the camera to my default pictures-location and to a subfolder with the 'date taken' as foldername.

I probably could create it myself using powershell or something, but I just want this to work.

The "work-around" (as you term it) does retain each file with its time and date of capture.  If you want them in a specific folder, click NEW FOLDER in whatever directory you would like it, label it as desired, and then click-drag all files to that folder. 

Like I said. Canon EOS Utility does this out-of-the-box.

I (and probably a lot of others on this forum) don't want do do it manually.

Um. I'd hate to say it, but this is what everyone is doing... It's not a fix. The software is flawed and does not work in windows 8. We all know how to copy files from the camera manually...

I just want cannon to fix their stupid software for the newest versions of windows

@ Bart

Also, you can easily create subfolders with date and time indicated on all files by simply clicking Canon EOS 5D Mark II>Properties then selecting the Events tab.  The option is presented as one of two at bottom of screen.

@ Sean

I know.  I'm sure it bothers both of you all you males were scratching your heads over this simple obstacle and a woman solved it, but my advice would be focus on the goal: successfully obtaining your files from being trapped forever inside your camera device, which solution I have provided for you -

... And deal.  Woman Very Happy

Don't feel less than men.  The two of you can solve some other problem first the next time. Woman Wink

My work is done here.

(Cheers from Hollywood, the movie making capitol of the world, where time is money and we don't waste time arguing over who can figure a **bleep** camera out in time for dailies and editing, instead we get the job done.) Man Wink

Karenw
Apprentice

Hi ALL,

thanks for the posts - I found them to be really helpful.

I found a wierd solution to my problem - which was the same win 8 problem as the others - I opened up preferences - selected a different basic setting - Show (lets you...) then the camera was found - so i changed it back to show main window and now its all good.

Go figure

cheers

Karen

rwalkernm
Apprentice

Here is what worked for me:  New 5D MkIII, Windows 7 64bit, fresh download of EOS utiltity.  Kept getting message "EOS Utility has stopped working".

I got it to work by right clicking on the desktop icon, selecting "Run as administrator..."

For what it's worth

BobW

I've tried your "plan B" and doesn't works on my windows 8.1 !! help! Canon! I wan to work RAW archives!!!!

Announcements