cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Utility problem

alexpado
Apprentice

Hi to all,

I have a problem with the Eos Utility Software.

I have the OS Windows 8, and I installed the last version of EOS Uility 2.12 compatibility with the new OS.

When I connect my EOS 5D MKIII or the 7D the EOS Utility not recognized the camera.

The drivers are installed , all the others programs works fine with the cameras.

Someone have a suggestion ? Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was having the same issue with EOS Utility not seeing my D60.
In Device Manager, do you see any other devices other than your camera under "Portable Devices"? Under mine, I have listed 4 removable media drives "SD, CF, etc.) that corresponded to my All-in-one Internal USB2.0 connector Card Reader. Each slot is shown as a drive letter. I disabled all four drives by right clicking each one and choosing "Disable" Once that was complete I plugged the camera back in and started the Eos Utility. Camera was now fully recognized. I can still use the media slots even with each drive being disabled.
Good Luck
Rich

View solution in original post

132 REPLIES 132

lehr
Apprentice

I have windows 7 and a rebel xt and I can no longer down load photos, I see this has been an on going problem, yet the last response from Cannon has been over a year. Has anyone been able to fix this issue.

I got it working again with my EOS 400D under Windows 8.1 (x64)!!!!!!!!!!!

- I just reïnstalled my computer with Windows 8.1 x64.

- Then I installed Canon EOS Utility with the CDRom that came with the camera.
   (which didn't work and only displayed the error: "can't find the camera")

- Then I updated Canon EOS Utility to the newest version there is for the EOS 400D (verion 2.9.0.0).
   (This one didn't work either. I had to download .Net Framework 3.5 but no camera was detected)

- Then I updated Canon EOS Utility to the newest version there is to download (v2.13.40).
   And this version worked with me....

Finally

lehr,

There are no drivers for Windows 7 to work with the EOS Rebel XT.  The best way to download the images is using a card reader.

Alternatively, you can also try connecting the camera in the PTP communication mode.  To do this:

1. Press the MENU.
  2. Select [Communication].
  3. Select [PTP].
  4. Power the camera off.
  5. Connect the camera to the computer and power it on.

This connection mode will only allow you to use the built-in Windows software at best, but we cannot guarantee it will be successful.

This didn't answer your question? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mike,

If I buy a card reader it will work like it did prior to getting windows 7 ? What I find really strange is that my laptop always had windows 7 and it worked before !

lehr,

If the camera was previously set to the PTP communication mode, Windows may have recognized it when it was connected and allowed you to download the images.  The only thing is that EOS Utility will not communicate with the camera in this mode, but any other image downloading programs in Windows should.

If you get a card reader, downloading the images is even more simple.  The card mounts as an external drive.  All you will need to do is drag and drop the images files from the card to the desired folder on your computer's hard drive.

This didn't answer your question? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

A card reader isn't a solution at all.

The Canon EOS Utility automaticly creates folders by date (of by year\date) when transferring photo's from your camera to your computer. That's the ONLY reason why I use that utility.

The reason I had to completely reinstall my computer to get it working again (on exactly the same hardware) says something about the EOS Utility and nothing else.

Bart, A card reader is a much faster way to transfer images vs. the USB cable. If you use digital asset management software such as Lightroom, the organization of your images is MUCH easier.

I'm not sure if there would have been another way to fix the problem short of re-installing the OS -- but the fact that you ultimately resorted to that solution AND... it actually worked... says much more about the stability of the operating system than the software.

I've used a LOT of different operating systems and understand computers at very low levels -- Windows is pretty much rock bottom when it comes to reliability. The Windows "registry" is basically a built-in denial of service attack -- no need to wait for malware to screw up the computer. The Mac version doesn't have these problems.

Glad to hear you finally got it sorted.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

OK, why would I pay for a program like Lightroom if the utility that comes with the camera for free does everthing I need it to do? (get a picture from the camera and place it in a subfolder with the 'date taken' as foldername)

The fact that I reinstalled my system has nothing to do with me trying to get the EOS Utility working again, it is something I do once or twice every year. Now Windows 8.1 was released so it was a good time to reinstall.

The way you describe the Windows Operating System and compare it to a Mac makes it pretty clear you're an Apple fanboy. Sure, Apple is probably a more stable OS but then again it runs only on a handful systems wich are way more expensive than custom build (superior) Intel based machines.. If it wasn't even stable on their own machines it would be really dumb, would it? If Microsoft developed their own computers and build Windows to only support that hardware , it would be just as good as Apple.

So please, stop comparing Windows with Apple and vice versa because it really makes no sense and it's completely off-topic.

@Bart_NL wrote:

OK, why would I pay for a program like Lightroom if the utility that comes with the camera for free does everthing I need it to do? (get a picture from the camera and place it in a subfolder with the 'date taken' as foldername)

The fact that I reinstalled my system has nothing to do with me trying to get the EOS Utility working again, it is something I do once or twice every year. Now Windows 8.1 was released so it was a good time to reinstall.

The way you describe the Windows Operating System and compare it to a Mac makes it pretty clear you're an Apple fanboy. Sure, Apple is probably a more stable OS but then again it runs only on a handful systems wich are way more expensive than custom build (superior) Intel based machines.. If it wasn't even stable on their own machines it would be really dumb, would it? If Microsoft developed their own computers and build Windows to only support that hardware , it would be just as good as Apple.

So please, stop comparing Windows with Apple and vice versa because it really makes no sense and it's completely off-topic.

Bart,

<sigh>

Nevermind anything I said about Lightroom.  It was intended to be helpful -- but I'm sensing you posted here as more of a rant and it was my mistake to assume you actually wanted help. 

You don't by chance work for Microsoft, do you?  You seem rather sensitive about protecting them.  

@I made the comment, not about Apple -- but about Windows, because you wrote:

"The reason I had to completely reinstall my computer to get it working again (on exactly the same hardware) says something about the EOS Utility and nothing else."

That's not really a valid assumption.  Windows has a central "registry" file and that file can become corrupt.  When it becomes corrupt, unpredictable things happen.  Reinstalling an OS can have the effect of restting the registry -- in effect fixing software problems that really had nothing to do with the program that was misbehaving.  Other operating systems do not have this concept of a central registry.  Program preferences and configurations are stored in separate files -- this isolation creates some natural stability.

The statement really had very little to do with Apple, but Canon only makes the EOS Utility software for Windows and Mac.  Given there are only two platforms, it would not have made sense to compare it to people who run Ubuntu, now would it?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Ok, we've probably misunderstood eachother.

Announcements