Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 193
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

End of standalone Lightroom

Now that Adobe has announced there will be no further support for standalone Lightroom, what product will you be using in the future?

 

As stated on Peta Pixel: "Adobe is also announcing that Lightroom 6 will be the last standalone version of Lightroom that you can purchase once and use forever. There won’t be any Lightroom 7, and if you’d like to use the latest and greatest Lightroom updates and features, you’ll need to start paying regular subscriptions (just like with Photoshop CC). Lightroom 6 will no longer be updated after 2017, so you’ll find that newer cameras of the future will not be supported."

 

Adobe claims that photographers have "demanded" this change LOL  I mean, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee for the rest of their life. I believe it is more likely that stockholders have demanded it. Be that as it may, DPP is looking better and better now. YMMV. 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,440
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: End of standalone Lightroom


John_SD wrote:

Now that Adobe has announced there will be no further support for standalone Lightroom, what product will you be using in the future?

 

As stated on Peta Pixel: "Adobe is also announcing that Lightroom 6 will be the last standalone version of Lightroom that you can purchase once and use forever. There won’t be any Lightroom 7, and if you’d like to use the latest and greatest Lightroom updates and features, you’ll need to start paying regular subscriptions (just like with Photoshop CC). Lightroom 6 will no longer be updated after 2017, so you’ll find that newer cameras of the future will not be supported."

 

Adobe claims that photographers have "demanded" this change LOL  I mean, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee for the rest of their life. I believe it is more likely that stockholders have demanded it. Be that as it may, DPP is looking better and better now. YMMV. 

 


Buy a copy of it now.  It currently works with all of the latest Canon camera body and lenses.  You can also convert any file to DNG, and process that with Lightroom.  I do not like the idea of leasing software, either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Super Contributor
Posts: 193
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: End of standalone Lightroom

[ Edited ]

Waddizzle wrote:

Buy a copy of it now.  It currently works with all of the latest Canon camera body and lenses.  You can also convert any file to DNG, and process that with Lightroom.  I do not like the idea of leasing software, either.

Well, I did consider that, but ultimately had to reject the idea of investing in an orpahned product, which is approaching death's door. So for now I'll continue using DPP, which is fine for my usage today. But I do realize that at some point in the not too distant future, I'll require a product that features more robust management and capability. From the blogs and whatnot I've been reading, there is a growing outcry among pros and enthusiasts regarding this blatant money grab, so I guess we'll just have to stay tuned. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,440
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: End of standalone Lightroom


John_SD wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

Buy a copy of it now.  It currently works with all of the latest Canon camera body and lenses.  You can also convert any file to DNG, and process that with Lightroom.  I do not like the idea of leasing software, either.

Well, I did consider that, but ultimately had to reject the idea of investing in an orpahned product, which is approaching death's door. So for now I'll continue using DPP, which is fine for my usage today. But I do realize that at some point in the not too distant future, I'll require a product that features more robust management and capability. From the blogs and whatnot I've been reading, there is a growing outcry among pros and enthusiasts regarding this blatant money grab, so I guess we'll just have to stay tuned. 


I’m not sure if you followed what I am saying.  While support for Lightroom 6 may be ending, all that means is that they will no longer offer updates, or fix bugs, which has not happened in while.   The DNG Convrter is a separate application, which will continue to be supported, as is Adobe Camera Raw.  Lightroom 6 should remain quite usable for years to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,745
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: End of standalone Lightroom

This is infuriating. 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,731
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: End of standalone Lightroom


John_SD wrote:

Now that Adobe has announced there will be no further support for standalone Lightroom, what product will you be using in the future?

 

As stated on Peta Pixel: "Adobe is also announcing that Lightroom 6 will be the last standalone version of Lightroom that you can purchase once and use forever. There won’t be any Lightroom 7, and if you’d like to use the latest and greatest Lightroom updates and features, you’ll need to start paying regular subscriptions (just like with Photoshop CC). Lightroom 6 will no longer be updated after 2017, so you’ll find that newer cameras of the future will not be supported."

 

Adobe claims that photographers have "demanded" this change LOL  I mean, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee for the rest of their life. I believe it is more likely that stockholders have demanded it. Be that as it may, DPP is looking better and better now. YMMV. 

 


I agree. The functionality of DPP is plenty good for anyone who doean't actually need Photoshoppe. (And you know who you are; if you don't know, you don't need it.) If Canon would finally address DPP's annoying efficiency problems, we could all let LR fade away without having to pay much attention. Satan would be passing out parkas and handwarmers before we needed to sign up for a lifetime subscription to LR.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,440
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: End of standalone Lightroom


RobertTheFat wrote:

John_SD wrote:

Now that Adobe has announced there will be no further support for standalone Lightroom, what product will you be using in the future?

 

As stated on Peta Pixel: "Adobe is also announcing that Lightroom 6 will be the last standalone version of Lightroom that you can purchase once and use forever. There won’t be any Lightroom 7, and if you’d like to use the latest and greatest Lightroom updates and features, you’ll need to start paying regular subscriptions (just like with Photoshop CC). Lightroom 6 will no longer be updated after 2017, so you’ll find that newer cameras of the future will not be supported."

 

Adobe claims that photographers have "demanded" this change LOL  I mean, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee for the rest of their life. I believe it is more likely that stockholders have demanded it. Be that as it may, DPP is looking better and better now. YMMV. 

 


I agree. The functionality of DPP is plenty good for anyone who doean't actually need Photoshoppe. (And you know who you are; if you don't know, you don't need it.) If Canon would finally address DPP's annoying efficiency problems, we could all let LR fade away without having to pay much attention. Satan would be passing out parkas and handwarmers before we needed to sign up for a lifetime subscription to LR.


My deal breaker with DPP is not speed.  It is the lack of support for third party lenses.  Of course, I should not expect it, nor do I blame Canon for not including it.  For me, that's the biggest problem with it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,745
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: End of standalone Lightroom

 Bad enough I have years worth of images processed in their system. Now they think I am going to upload all my images to them so they will hold them for me, ransoming them for $9.99/ month for now, but doubtless more and more, forever.  

 

I think they went went too far this time. They can squeeze existing users for more money and please their shareholders (myself included) for the short term gain but how will they lure new casual users into that lifetime monthly obligation?  They are cutting off their entry point for new users. This gives their competitors a big chance. 

 

I bought ADBE stock when this subscription thing started, guessing this would be a quick cash flow boost. Ive made more than enough money in Adobe stock in less than a year to buy a 1dx2 and a nice lens or two (though I haven't done so) and still I am pi$$ed. 

 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,440
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: End of standalone Lightroom

[ Edited ]

ScottyP wrote:

 Bad enough I have years worth of images processed in their system. Now they think I am going to upload all my images to them so they will hold them for me, ransoming them for $9.99/ month for now, but doubtless more and more, forever.  

 

I think they went went too far this time. They can squeeze existing users for more money and please their shareholders (myself included) for the short term gain but how will they lure new casual users into that lifetime monthly obligation?  They are cutting off their entry point for new users. This gives their competitors a big chance. 

 

I bought ADBE stock when this subscription thing started, guessing this would be a quick cash flow boost. Ive made more than enough money in Adobe stock in less than a year to buy a 1dx2 and a nice lens or two (though I haven't done so) and still I am pi$$ed. 

 


I don’t see this as a major crisis.  LR6 currently supports the 6D Mark II, which is one of Canon;s latest offerings.  With the DNG converter, any future camera bodies and lenses would still work with it.

BTW, off topic.  I think the 6D Mark II is a fantastic camera for the price.  I think this is one of the ISO 12800 shots. Near 100% crop.

 

A594C62B-2BE0-488D-96AC-ECC315CB8491.jpeg

 

High school football shot at ISO 12800 to ISO 25600, with the EF 100-400mm f.4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,745
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: End of standalone Lightroom

Yeah. I can upgrade to LR6, a dead end, and limp,along until I move past current cameras.  Bad taste in my mouth though. Hate giving them that last $150.00. 

 

Scott

Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement