cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

I would also check under your advanced power settings and look under settings for what the power button does and disable Fast Startup.

Win 10 is reasonably well behaved on my HP desktop workstation but I have set aside a couple of hours tomorrow and at the end my Asus Transformer tablet will either have Win 8.1 back on it or it is going to be replaced by a new tablet running Android because I have had it with Win 10 on that device.  It originally came with 8.1 and although the initial upgrade to Win 10 went well the Fall "Creator" update has caused multiple problems even though this one has the later processor compatible with the current updates. 

After multiple issues I did a fresh install via MS download but of course the Uber geniuses at MS download the older version of Win 10 and then want to upgrade it to the current version.  Looking at history it now has tried several times to upgrade but always fails and upgrading drivers as suggested by MS doesn't cure the issue and a Google search reveals that with these sorts of issues you will either get lucky or potentially spend many many hours going down multiple dead end alleys.  

The Asus Transformer pad with detachable keyboard is the perfect size for email and web browsing on the go but it is useless when MS is constantly taking control attempting another failed upgrade.  Moving it from 8.1 was a huge mistake and buying anything new running MS software would be an even bigger mistake.  Relying upon the current incarnation of Microsoft to do the right thing is like looking to the village idiot for leadership during a time of crisis.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi to all you good people from snowy London.

Rick, You are correct, cold booting was the way to cure part of the problem, and I did create a shutdown button for the task bar.. However MS have realised the error of their ways and changed that behaviour in a subsequent update to 1709. This is the solution that the link in Johns post refers to. They (MS) dont aappear to roll these updates simultainously globally so some users have it and some dont!

I agree with you about adult behaviour re admin account. This is an old habit of mine which goes way back. It was as a result of my son showing me how easy it was to remotly change the settings on a pc if the adminsitrator account was open. this goes back to something like windows 98 or NT. (he is a software engineer) and I never got out of the habit, the woring thing is that all that admin controls are now on the menu for Win10 and can't be removed. I tried to disable them, and it appears that the only way is to use powershell and create a custom menu.

The reason for multiple user profiles is that my CAD software demands a different resolution to Lightroom etc. so I just run that in a different profile. As an engineer I like things tidy as well, and shoving evrything into one menu, as far as I am concerned is untidy and bad practice.

John & Roger,

I have been all through those settings many times and cant figure how to stop it going straight back in to the last open profile. It is a bit of a pain though as I frequently have to come out of the one I was last in when windows boots. Quick start is disabled. The only way it appears is to password protect every user account, which again is a bit of a P.I.T.A. On the other hand my wife loves this behaviour on her laptop because she dosent have to log in every time.

So do I: I can read all her lovers emails Tee Hee Hee !!!!

Joking aside I think this is a rather dangerous feature, and we as users should have a choice. I also take issue with the current trend of pushing evryone to put their data in the cloud and run software remotly. I personally think this is dangerous. I also think that the 1709 update was another step in trying to push users down that route. Once Microsoft et-all have evryone in the cloud using free storage then the charges will kick in.Or am I too much of a cynic?

No, you aren't a cynic.  "Windows Is A Service"...  just ask Microsoft.  The day is coming when they too (like adobe) will try and get us to subscibe to the OS... or at the very least "features" you need to get work done.  Its coming.  Mark my words. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Re win 10 opening last saved profile.

Eventually found a fix here.

https://superuser.com/questions/952868/can-i-disable-auto-logon-on-windows-10-home

Personally I do not think it is a good idea to push users into poking about in the registry, and there are millions who dont have a clue.

Rick, when that happens I will be using Unbuntu.

Well all you good people out there, I am eternally gratefull for all the help, suggestions, and of course support with this.

I hope that the discussions here can help others. My problems for now are solved; until the next update in april !!!

It appears that you are experiencing some difficulties with the EOS Utility program after a recent Windows Feature update. Many users have reported similar issues, and some have found a solution by setting the Compatibility to "Windows 8".

Interestingly, it seems that there are two separate versions of the program installed on your computer. The first can be found in C:\Program Files(x86)\EOS Utility, but it does not run at all after the update and does not even appear in Task Manager. The second version can be found in C:\Program Files(x86)\EOS Utility\EOS Utility, but it comes up with the "Download Photos" feature greyed out.

To resolve the issue, you need to set the Compatibility Setting on the first program and allow it to call the second one for you. This should enable the program to run as normal. It's worth noting that this is a common problem that many users have experienced, and there are likely to be other solutions available as well.

Alexandru
Apprentice

soundscaping
Apprentice

I spent hours trying to figure this out because the connection from the USB that was provided was never detected either on my Mac or Windows 10 PCs. I have a 7D MKII. Tried one thing that doesn't involve installing or deleting drivers or any of that!!

Simply remove the wifi card then plugin, turn camera on and if the utility doesn't start, start it up manually and it should work.

Worked on Windows 10 with Eos Utility 2 and 3 and Eos Utility on Macbook 15" mid 2015 with Sierra OS.

Hopefully, this works for many c:

Cheers!

Warriors021
Apprentice
Mine is still not working. Trying to do remote shooting on my eos rebel t6. I have the utility downloaded with the updater. Turned the wifi on disavke for my camera, connected my camera and stilk nothing happened. I cant click romote sgooting at all.

Don't ask me why, but I managed it to work after I created a Inbound Rule for the Port 1900 UDP in Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security:

Screenshot_1.png

Lumigraphics
Contributor

Using a Rebel T5i. I have the current Windows 10 Pro release (1903 Build 18362.239) and Canon Utility 2.14.20.0. If I launch Canon Utility 2 directly, tethering works perfectly. I cannot get auto-launch to detect the camera regardless of reinstall, reboot, reconnect camera, etc.

This combo worked in the past but at some point with Windows updates it quit working. I'm just doing the manual startup because I have to turn on the camera anyway.

The preference to open linked software doesn't work either, I use Adobe Bridge and have to manually switch to it after each capture.

I also have a Rebel XSi connected to an ancient MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8 and Bridge CS5 and both functions work perfectly there, go figure.

Canon should just merge versions and support all cameras with the latest Canon Utility on current operating systems. I suspect that a lot of their customers use Windows 10 (I'm a Mac guy but don't get much say on equipment at work, or I'd have better systems.)

Announcements