cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

That is what I did, not very satisfactory at all. What irritates me is that Canon show total lack of concern. They should be brought to account.

Peterw1 wrote:

That is what I did, not very satisfactory at all. What irritates me is that Canon show total lack of concern. They should be brought to account.

And yet many of us use EOSU on Windows 10 with no problems at all. So in the absence of some more definitive descriptions of the problem, there may be some justification for Canon's lack of concern.

OK, here's something to try if you haven't done so already: Completely uninstall both versions of EOSU, and then install the most recent available release of EOSU 3 only. The installer will automatically install both versions, along with a monitor program that, when invoked, will automatically select the correct version for your camera. I believe we've seen cases where two separate installations got in each other's way and starting over was the only way to resolve it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

X2.  I even went so far as to install from the Cd whick came with my Camera. It got the latest version from Canon during the install.

I'm sure my problems originally started with a Win 7 to 10 upgrade. My recommendation if this is your case would be to Install Win 10 from scratch.

The reason I always use EOSU is that it stores a list of what's already been downloaded, so that if you download new photos after a shoot, you can select "New" and you only tag the new ones. If you use a card reader you have to select the new photos manually.

Your comment about Windows 10 version raised another point. I'm using Windows 10 Pro. If others are using Windows 10 Home, that may explain why different people are getting different problems.

Since my post in Aug 2017 (page 12), I've still not been able to get it working, despite all the replies on this thread.  

Although I do want to check - for those that have this working, are you using a USB cable to connect your camera to your PC?  That works for me too.  When I connect the USB cable, the Utility automatically pops up, and that's how I transfer my photos currently to my PC currently.

My problem is that I can't connect my Canon camera to my PC from a Wireless/LAN perspective. Yet the Wireless/LAN works when transferring images for everything else.  Specifically tranferring works from the camera to:- Mobile/Android, TV/DLNA, YouTube direct, Irista, Canon Image Gateway.

I'm assuming that transferring files from my wireless Canon camera to my PC on the same LAN is not possible.  Neither is there anything in the manual to indicate that this is possible. Which is bizarre as like most people, all I want to do is transfer my camera files to my PC so I can edit them in Lightroom.

Hi James1138!

Since you're still having problems, we suggest reaching out to support.

If you're here in the USA, our US-based team is available from 10am to 10pm (ET) at 1-800-828-4040.

If you're outside of the USA, click HERE and select your country or region for support options. 

Hi Canon (Stephen),

Thanks for the response directing me to Canon Support UK.

However I'm giving up on this, and think I've answered my own question.  I believe connecting my PC to my camera via WiFi simply isn't possible, nor a feature that Canon offer or support.  Furthermore, nobody in this community has been able to provide any positive response over the past few months.

Connecting via USB is fine and perhaps the best way anyway due to the large nature of the files. 

I'm satisfied with this.

However I'm a little disappointed that the Canon instructions and marketing do not make it clear enough that this feature is not available.

@James1138 wrote:

Hi Canon (Stephen),

Thanks for the response directing me to Canon Support UK.

However I'm giving up on this, and think I've answered my own question.  I believe connecting my PC to my camera via WiFi simply isn't possible, nor a feature that Canon offer or support.  Furthermore, nobody in this community has been able to provide any positive response over the past few months.

Connecting via USB is fine and perhaps the best way anyway due to the large nature of the files. 

I'm satisfied with this.

However I'm a little disappointed that the Canon instructions and marketing do not make it clear enough that this feature is not available.

You didn't answer the question I asked you on December 19. Before you give up, go back and read it again. Most WiFi-equipped computers are configured as clients by default. But the other devices with which you say the camera can communicate require you to go through an access point, which suggests that the camera is also configured as a client. Two clients can't talk to each other, except via an access point. If you don't understand what I'm saying, go find someone who does.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Mate, I know you're trying to help, and what you've written is accurate, although it's no help whatsoever.

Whilst I haven't a scooby about photography, I'm a computer engineer that's worked in PC, Desktop Support, Server support etc for years, and it simply isn't possible.  

@James1138 wrote:

Mate, I know you're trying to help, and what you've written is accurate, although it's no help whatsoever.

Whilst I haven't a scooby about photography, I'm a computer engineer that's worked in PC, Desktop Support, Server support etc for years, and it simply isn't possible.  

I am not sure if the M5(?) is capable of operating as a Wi-Fi access point, to which your Windows 10 PC would connect.  It could, I just reallly do not know.  My M3 can connect to a smart device, like a smart phone or table.  I have never tried to connect to a PC, just an iPad.

With the camer in access point mode, the PC would connect to the camera, instead of making its’ regular connection to you, let’s say, your home LAN, for example.  I put the M3 into access point mode by enabling the password in the menu.  It then displays a access point name, and a password to be used for connecting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements