cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

I gave up trying to get it to work and it seems unlikely that Canon will fix the problem.

I bought a new camera so the EOS400D and EOS450D are just backup cameras and little used.

CGardner51
Apprentice

I have tried reloading EOS and removing cable.   My windows just updated last night and now connection to camera is gone.  This append on one laptop but I was still able to use it.   What is the name of the device driver for the canon EOS?   I can try that next but is there an expected update for this issue

I have read through all of the concerns people have had and mine is almost identical.  I uploaded pictures on Friday night; computer received updates on Saturday morning; will not read camera.  I followed the advice from many of you but when I go to Canon support, it says there are no drivers or updates for EOS Utility 2 (which I uploaded last year when WIN 10 arrived).  Also, when I try to run EOS Utility (previous version) it controls my Pandora stations.  I find that very strange.  Any new advice or workable solutions?

Molee33
Apprentice

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and I have read the previous posts about downloading the EOS ulitlity driver for Window's 8.1, but I cannot do that because I don't have a previous EOS Utility. I don't know where the disc that came with my camera orginally, and now I can't get my pictures uploaded. Is there anyone that can help me download the EOS utility for my Canon Digital Rebal XT so I can do the windos 8.1 upgrade and get my 250 pictures uploaded, so I can take more pictures? 

I'm very frusterated and don't know what else to do!

Thanks in advance

If you are starting from scratch, then you will need to start at the beginning.  You will need to install the original version of the software, so that you can upgrade it.  Use this link to find your camera's support page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support 

Once you click on the software link, it may automatically detect your Windows 10.  Use that drop down to select the operating system that was current when the camera was released, most likley Windows XP, I'm guessing. 

You should find a "Solutions Disk" among the operating system listings.  This is a digital copy of the original disk that would come with a new camera. 

I cannot say whether or not the packages will install properly on Windows 10, because the way software interacts with attached hardware has dramatically changed over the years.  Hopefully, it will install in a compatibility mode, which should be invisible to the user.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Brianjim
Apprentice
Turn off the fire wall.
That should fix it

razvand
Apprentice

It's a shame for a big company not providing working drivers for Windows 10. Every time Windows 10 updates Canon 6D gives 'USB device not recognized'. Sometimes i can download images from camera reinstalling EOS Utility, sometimes i disable or enable USB 3.0 support from BIOS.

I use another Canon product: 5000F scanner working only with Windows 32 bits drivers !

Thank you Canon for your support,

Hi razvand!

Thank you for reaching out to Canon USA!

If you've updated your software to the most current version from our site HERE, and you're still having problems, we suggest reaching out to technical support. If you're in the USA, support is at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). Outside of the USA, click HERE to locate Canon in your region and find your support options.

mobels
Apprentice

I have read through this message from beginning to end and tried every suggested option, unfortunatly without any effect. After lot's of frustrating hours googling and trying, I now have it working.

How I made it work (in the end):

I had to install "Media Feature Pack for N edition of Windows 10 Version 1703"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016817/media-feature-pack-for-n-edition-of-windows-10-vers...

Apparantly the version of your windows makes a big difference and the MFP's are hard to find.

To find the exact windows version you are on:

- Click start

- Type "About"

- Select "About your PC"

- Look for Edition (in my case "Windows 10 Pro N") and version (in my case "1703")

Use this to google for "Media Feature Pack" <your edition> <your version> and you'll probably find the correct download for you.

After installation you should also be able to find "Windows media player" in your start menu. I found this the easiest way to check if installation was succesfull. Installing a wrong version of MFP will not give you an error, it'll just not work...

Announcements