cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

Thank you so much, Bob and Richard for your quick responses.  I tried the compatibility mode first because it seemed the easier of the two fixes.  It worked!  Now I just need to get used to the differences in my new camera. My Rebel XTi was worn out after 11 years.  Let the fun begin.

Dawn

Glad to hear it! We can't get the Rebel series in Australia, but the specs I fount (Rebel T6) suggests that it's like my Canon 7D, but upgraded a bit. Just don't take it out in the rain! (I do that with the 7D, but it's weatherproof). My 7D has rolled over the image counter three times so far and it's still firiing. You should get good service life with your Rebel.

Richard

@Baycreekgal wrote:

Thank you so much, Bob and Richard for your quick responses.  I tried the compatibility mode first because it seemed the easier of the two fixes.  It worked!  Now I just need to get used to the differences in my new camera. My Rebel XTi was worn out after 11 years.  Let the fun begin.

Dawn

@firefly2560 wrote:

You also need to set the "Compatibility Mode" on 'EOS Utility.exe'. Make sure you use the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility. (There is another one further down in an EU2 folder). RIght-click on the .Exe file and select 'Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab and set Compatibility Mode to "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8". WIndows 8 is selected from a drop-down list.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and that was all I had to do to get it working.

Richard.

I don't think you should have to do that. I use EOSU under Windows 10 Pro, and I don't have compatibility mode turned on.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It depends on a lot of things, including which update of Windows 10 you have. I updated to Windows 10 about July 2016, and the EOS Utility worked perfectly. It only started to play up a few moths ago, after one of Microsoft's Windows 10 updates. That's when I had to use compatibility mode. I've had a few updates since then, but compatilbilty mode is still working. It might also work if I turn it off, but I'm not going to risk it. It's possible that WIndows 10 in Australia is different to WIndows 10 in USA.

After three weeks I have now heard back from UK canon support:

Unfortunately, Canon EOS M range mirrorless cameras does not support remote shooting function with EOS Utility application, please refer to page 31 of EOS Utility user manual

So that finally answers my question.

Hi.

Same problem - did you get it resolved.

Been in toucj with guys at Canon and they're not much help really!

@cooldaddy wrote:

Hi.

Same problem - did you get it resolved.

Been in toucj with guys at Canon and they're not much help really!

I removed the latest downloaded for the EOS6D and re-installed the previous one which works fine.

Yes.  The eos utility works fine for me.  My problem went away when I told win10 what to do with the 5D that I connected to the computer. A query box came up on connection and asked what I wanted to do and it gave me choices. The eos utility was not among the choices so I clicked on "Download photos and. Videos",  I turned the. Camera off and then back on again and the windows photo utility popped up. And it was able to download my images.  I then. Closed out that utility and called up the eos utility and it then worked perfectly.  It has worked perfectly now fo all of my subsequent downloads.  I think the problem is that win10 does not know what to do with your camera until you identify how it should handle the eos driver.  Answer the question when it pops up and it should reslove the problem.  It did for me.  Might be different for your camera.  Mine is a 5D Mark II.

I am having the same issue with the EOS program that came with my Canon 80D, same screen etc but isn't showing the camera but following the instructions in the manual there is a screen shot of a camera listed under the camera column. I am going tio have a go at Canon next week as they should have sorted this out 

A bit of an old post, but I have just purchased a 5DMK4 and had this issue.

I fixed it like this:

Go to the executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe

Right click and choose Properties

Click on the tab Compatibility

In Compatibility mode, check Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8

This fixed it for me.

Good luck.

Announcements